• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Checking interest of Long Range Shooting instruction

Interested in Such a Course?

• Yes

Votes: 80 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters
I think for basics, you may have a number of shooters interested that can help the inexperienced with getting to the first plateau. From my experience the first obstacle is teaching how to use turrets to dial in elevation. Once a new guy sees the correlation between the digital dope (from an exterior ballistics program) and their scope, something clicks. I remember my first time shooting LR and learning to use the scope. Seeing "11 MOA" didn't mean much until I dialed the scope to 11, fired and heard the ding.

Again, I'd recommend Gunsite Hills for some basics. Chief was a Navy firearms instructor, and know long range well. The range is 700-750 yards. Cost is about $20. While the website says it's $20/hour, any time I've gone, it's been for the days, especially if prearranged with him. With almost no wind, it's a place that one can work on basics without outside influence making them question the result they see.

Hey fellas,

Sorry about the delay in my response. As I'm sure many of you are aware the shutdown has caused me to avert my attention momentarily. I am still planning to conduct the course and I will give plenty of heads up. I've also got my hands on 10 Palm PDA's loaded with Exbal for the first class so it should be interesting. Anyone who has PM'd me I am sorry for the delay but will respond ASAP. Everyone please keep their spirits up. It's important that we continue to stand against tyranny and promote justice. We all know right from wrong! God Bless.

'Who is John Galt?'

Who is John Galt indeed.

Another of my many suggestions. If you don't reload, you need to decide what ammo you'll shoot and shoot it through a chrony. Knowing the velocity through YOUR gun is the start to utilizing a ballistics program like Exbal. You can't go with the side of the box and expect to hit like it shows.

Hey fellas,

Sorry about the delay in my response. As I'm sure many of you are aware the shutdown has caused me to avert my attention momentarily. I am still planning to conduct the course and I will give plenty of heads up. I've also got my hands on 10 Palm PDA's loaded with Exbal for the first class so it should be interesting. Anyone who has PM'd me I am sorry for the delay but will respond ASAP. Everyone please keep their spirits up. It's important that we continue to stand against tyranny and promote justice. We all know right from wrong! God Bless.

'Who is John Galt?'

Have you ever looked at the android/iphone ballistic calculator app STRELOK?

Last edited:
Have you ever looked at the android/iphone ballistic calculator app STRELOK?

I have that app on my phone. I haven't had it to the range yet, but it looks freakin sweet. I paid for the plus version where you get hold overs at any magnification. You can zoom it in and out till you get the range you want to hit a mil dot and then match the scopes power and never touch the turret in theory.

The other great feature is the trajectory validation button, where it will recalculate your velocity based on poi, range, and zero. Great for those of us without a chrony. Right now I'm configured for 168 GMM, velocity taken off an online review of same ammo in a 26" 700 Varmint.

I'm hoping to get my new 700 police 26" (purchase inspired by this thread) to the range next week and test it out. If it works as well as I hope I'm going to repurpose an old phone to a full time ballistics computer.

Mouzzer, hang in there with all this shutdown crap. I have a buddy that's full time Guard that working for free right now because he's essential personnel. Hopefully heads will come out of asses soon.

Last edited:
Hey gents,
Ive posted this in the appropriate section but wanted to reiterate here (below). Im selling my leupold mk4 mr/t. please feel free to make me an offer; the most ill say is "no Thanks"

--------------------------------
Item Name: NEW LEUPOLD MK 4 SCOPE w/ILLUMINAED RETICLE

Item is for: Sale

Sale Price: $1,100

Willing to Ship: Yes

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: NEW LEUPOLD MK 4 M/RT SCOPE w/ILLUMINAED RETICLE

Pictures wouldnt load but it is identical to the Leupold website's image. Im currently overseas (Active Duty). I can get some pictures from home if your interested... wife will have to take them.. so please be patient. :pop2:

NEW LEUPOLD MK 4 M/RT SCOPE w/ILLUMINAED RETICLE and Pellican Case. (click HERE to see it at Leupold website)

------------------------
Just never get to shoot it and, as I said many times before, just selling stuff for a new build.

Feel free to make me an offer, the most I will say is no thanks.

--------------------------
- shipping included; however, I do ask that you cover the paypal fee

- only ever zeroed and tested for tracking ability ( which was perfect as one would expect )

- The turret is also a BDC turret calibrated for a .308 round
(but that doesnt mean it cant work with any other rounds… )

- STD mil-dot reticle (illuminated).

- Second focal plane, half power = true half power.

- with it you get the scope rings (rings NOT SCOPE are hand painted tan - but easily fixed...) the Leupold spring lens caps,Leupold Mounting tool, PELICAN CASE, and a Leupold lens brush.

- Yes; its already been leveled in the scope rings

- The Scope itself is a 2nd focal plane, 8.7x magnification, and has a BDC turret calibrated for .308 rounds. specifically a 168gr bullet which was based on a G7 drag curve which means its accurate here in GA well out to over 1000yds with almost all .30 cal rounds (any that are not lead tipped/ blunt) and 600yds with .223)

Great optic assuming you've got the money and it is what your looking for. GLWS!

Hey gents,
Ive posted this in the appropriate section but wanted to reiterate here (below). Im selling my leupold mk4 mr/t. please feel free to make me an offer; the most ill say is "no Thanks"

--------------------------------
Item Name: NEW LEUPOLD MK 4 SCOPE w/ILLUMINAED RETICLE

Item is for: Sale

Sale Price: $1,100

Willing to Ship: Yes

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: NEW LEUPOLD MK 4 M/RT SCOPE w/ILLUMINAED RETICLE

Pictures wouldnt load but it is identical to the Leupold website's image. Im currently overseas (Active Duty). I can get some pictures from home if your interested... wife will have to take them.. so please be patient. :pop2:

NEW LEUPOLD MK 4 M/RT SCOPE w/ILLUMINAED RETICLE and Pellican Case. (click HERE to see it at Leupold website)

------------------------
Just never get to shoot it and, as I said many times before, just selling stuff for a new build.

Feel free to make me an offer, the most I will say is no thanks.

--------------------------
- shipping included; however, I do ask that you cover the paypal fee

- only ever zeroed and tested for tracking ability ( which was perfect as one would expect )

- The turret is also a BDC turret calibrated for a .308 round
(but that doesnt mean it cant work with any other rounds… )

- STD mil-dot reticle (illuminated).

- Second focal plane, half power = true half power.

- with it you get the scope rings (rings NOT SCOPE are hand painted tan - but easily fixed...) the Leupold spring lens caps,Leupold Mounting tool, PELICAN CASE, and a Leupold lens brush.

- Yes; its already been leveled in the scope rings

- The Scope itself is a 2nd focal plane, 8.7x magnification, and has a BDC turret calibrated for .308 rounds. specifically a 168gr bullet which was based on a G7 drag curve which means its accurate here in GA well out to over 1000yds with almost all .30 cal rounds (any that are not lead tipped/ blunt) and 600yds with .223)

Ok Gentlemen,

I am very sorry for my absence the last few days. This government shutdown is causing some unusual circumstances for me and my unit. I am absolutely still planning on moving forward with the class and am in the process of working things out. As I'd mentioned in a previous post I've acquired a couple PDA's with Exbal ballistic software. If anyone has their own PDA or just wants to get familiar with Ballistic Calculators feel free to message me and I'll send it over to you. This system is very accurate as far as ballistic computers go and makes a great starting point for creating a data book.

Also I've had many of you ask me about cost effective rifles and optics. I have spoken to some of my local firearms distributors and am working on setting something up where ODT members can receive a discount when purchasing a rifle/rifle + optic. From the initial conversations I take it that we'd have to get at least three individuals who are willing to commit to the purchase. I will get a price tag ASAP and post it on here for anyone who would be interested. Also just so I am clear, I will in no way be handling any money if you choose to purchase a rifle through this method. You would pay the FFL directly and pick up your gun that day just like you would any other firearms transaction. I am simply looking to coordinate the purchase for ODT members and offer a good entry package that can be upgraded to match grade.

As far as ammunition goes, I've got that covered to. I am willing to supply any ammunition for the course that people may need. The price will be as low as the best deals or lower. A colleague of mine recently became authorized to sell ammunition to individuals so I'll be using him as my source. I will make a thread or PM everyone attending the course before hand to check for interest and quantities. Again, this is not required just an offer to help people save money and time.

Thanks for all the support guys and please let me know if you have any questions!
Bob

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom