• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any of you lesbians got experience with Subarus?

My wife and I are in need of a car. I love my Sequoia but it’s 18 years old with nearly 200k on it and while she runs fine, she’s showing her age. Wife wants something a little easier to drive and not so cumbersome as well.

Been looking at either a Forester or an Outback, almost set on an older Forester XT. Anyone got experience with them? Outside of internet lore about blown head gaskets and vapes? And, of course, lesbionics?
my mom has one , not sure of the madel, but it’s love fuel! 16 MPG!

We have had 3 of them, current one is 13 yrs old with 200K on it, the other two were driven by new drivers (teenage girls) They have never left anyone on the side of the road. The only major repair was head gaskets, everything else has been regular maintenance, oh I forgot one alternator between the 3 of em, and I think 2 batteries.

They are reliable, but quirky and not as forget about maintenance forgiving as a Toyota (I have those too) The CVT Subarus are not as engaging to drive as the geared transmission cars. (pre 2011 I think). For the most part its gonna be at the shop more than a Toyota, but not by much as long as you pay attention to fluids. I will say that the Subaru is the only car that I have had to replace headlight and tail light bulbs multiple times, so much so that there is always a couple of spare bulbs in the glove box....It's the strangest thing.

My wife and I are in need of a car. I love my Sequoia but it’s 18 years old with nearly 200k on it and while she runs fine, she’s showing her age. Wife wants something a little easier to drive and not so cumbersome as well.

Been looking at either a Forester or an Outback, almost set on an older Forester XT. Anyone got experience with them? Outside of internet lore about blown head gaskets and vapes? And, of course, lesbionics?
When me and the wife worked at the port of Brunswick her job was inspecting/processing Subarus . I worked there for a while and drove every model except the Outback since it's made in Indiana. I dig that every Subaru is AWD and it's not an expensive option like with other brands. I also dig how you can get all them in base models with steel wheels and cheaper sized tires. You can get anything they make with a manual transmission. Might have to order it but you can get it. I would go with the Forester since that's what I had the most experience with. I like the looks of the Outback better since it's a more traditional wagon looking car but I've never been in one.
My landlord asked me in 17 or 18 what his wife should buy . I told him a new Forester. She bought it and loved it. Two years later the dealer begged her to come trade it for a new Outback. Well she's still in it. They love it.
Point is... Subaru... It's not just for liberals and lesbians anymore.

My girlfriend has had her 2017 Outback for about 4 years now and she loves it. Only things I recall that we've had to replace on it so far are tires and brakes. She did want a newer 4Runner but her parents talked her out of it due to the price and gas mileage on those things.

Some years/models are subject to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) failing. It can cost up to $4k to replace.
There are multiple posts on the Subaru owners forums about the issue.
I’ve come to the conclusion all transmissions require service to last. GM trucks are puking transmissions between 60-100k. CVT transmissions historically have been troublesome.

I have two friends with Subarus.

One friend had a Crosstrek. At 55K miles, it was consuming oil, about 1/2 quart per thousand miles. Subaru told him he needed to change the PCV valve ($60 or so), but he refused because factory service interval for this is 60K, not 55K. So Subaru did an oil leak test; they change the oil and weigh it. Drive it for 3K miles, they change the oil and weigh it again. After 3K, they said "Yeah, you're consuming oil, but you need to replace the PCV valve." So my friend sprung for the $60 PCV valve, and paid them AGAIN for the oil change and oil consumption test. Drove it for another 3K miles, and brought it in for the oil consumption results.

The dealership said "Yeah, your engine is definitely consuming oil.... But now your Subaru has more than 60K miles on it, and your warranty is only to 60K miles. So we'll help you out and rebuild the engine for only $6K, or you can contact your extended warranty provider." When he called the extended warranty provider they denied coverage because the problem started BEFORE his factory warranty expired. Eventually Subaru gave him a 'deal' on a new Subaru, and he took it because he needed a car, and he sure as heck isn't going to get much trade value for a car that needs a new engine.

He called Subaru North America about it, and their attitude was "What? You got a new car out of it." They didn't quite understand when he responded with "Yes, and I got $12K more debt, too." Eventually, after HOURS of telephone calls they reimbursed him for the extended warranty.

My other Subaru owning friend has a 2018 Forrester. It currently has 58K miles on it. We have replaced both front lower control arms - severe front end vibration caused by deterioration of the bushings. Apparently common enough that AutoZone has them in stock. We've also replaced the A/C compressor when it totally locked up. Subaru offered to replace the A/C compressor for a very affordable $1,200 - for a car with 58K on the odometer. Said they could do it in three hours, and no need to replace the condenser. Rock Auto to the rescue.

During the process of diagnosing his Forrester I spent some time under it, pulling on this, prying on that, trying to find the vibration. My opinion is that the entire suspension has the stiffness of an empty Bud Light can.

I used to want a Subaru - now, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom