• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any of you lesbians got experience with Subarus?

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
My wife and I are in need of a car. I love my Sequoia but it’s 18 years old with nearly 200k on it and while she runs fine, she’s showing her age. Wife wants something a little easier to drive and not so cumbersome as well.

Been looking at either a Forester or an Outback, almost set on an older Forester XT. Anyone got experience with them? Outside of internet lore about blown head gaskets and vapes? And, of course, lesbionics?

As far as I know the head gasket issue has been resolved. From a resale value they hold pretty good but their repair costs are above average. All that being said, outback is at the top of my list for an AWD, specifically the Wilderness edition which comes factory with a 2" lift and tons of aftermarket off-road options.

They do attract a certain demographic and/or occupation (teachers) it seems. I don't like them but I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs (need to lose about 40). The doors seem thin and tinny and they are not made for American males.

I see a lot of them on the road so they must be somewhat popular.

The AWD systems are expensive to maintain if you really don't need it. A friend in Ohio likes them for winter driving. He trades them in every 2-3 years so he doesn't have to deal with fixing the AWD when it goes out, and they always go out. One was replaced because of a dead engine, don't remember the exact problem.

As far as I know the head gasket issue has been resolved. From a resale value they hold pretty good but their repair costs are above average. All that being said, outback is at the top of my list for an AWD, specifically the Wilderness edition which comes factory with a 2" lift and tons of aftermarket off-road options.
Yeah from my limited understanding the head gasket issue plagued just a handful of engines over a handful of years and was resolved in the early 20teens. The wilderness models are awesome, but a little over our budget (paying cash).

Everyone I know that has one loves them. Folks seem to stick with them once they own one. The only issue I have seen is a friend had a flat tire and something about the awd requires having to replace multiple tires if you replace one.

We went to Alaska a few years back and that place is covered up with older Subaru's so I figured if it was good enough for Alaska it's good enough for Georgia
Bought my wife an Ascent last year and she absolutely loves that thing.

The AWD systems are expensive to maintain if you really don't need it. A friend in Ohio likes them for winter driving. He trades them in every 2-3 years so he doesn't have to deal with fixing the AWD when it goes out, and they always go out. One was replaced because of a dead engine, don't remember the exact problem.
Is this a thing? Quite literally the first time I’ve heard anything about issues with their AWD going out.

Back
Top Bottom