• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another SHTF question!

My experience may be dated, but as far as I know, If you're involved in a classified gig, ya ain't supposed to talk about it. Not even hint at it.

Personal Rule: If somebody tells me a war story and I'm not a real good friend, I take it with a grain of salt. A really big grain of salt.

Seems to me that I remember hearing that the AR7 was designed as an Air Force "Survival" weapon. Isn't that the main purpose of this discussion, survival? That said, I wouldn't want a 22 unless I was expecting to have to shoot rabbits or what not for food. What would a squirrel look like after getting hit with a 5.56? I think I want my shotgun.

Last edited:
My experience may be dated, but as far as I know, If you're involved in a classified gig, ya ain't supposed to talk about it. Not even hint at it.

Personal Rule: If somebody tells me a war story and I'm not a real good friend, I take it with a grain of salt. A really big grain of salt.
I got that from a WWII USMC vet.
^Um, this.^

Seems to me that I remember hearing that the AR7 was designed as an Air Force "Survival" weapon. Isn't that the main purpose of this discussion, survival? That said, I wouldn't want a 22 unless I was expecting to have to shoot rabbits or what not for food. What would a squirrel look like after getting hit with a 5.56? I think I want my shotgun.

Yeah, I got mine for the ability to bring in small game if I need to. Very cool gun that drops into a backpack and a years supply of ammo is still portable too. Kinda thinking about a takedown, survival bow as well.

For self-defense, I go back to my earlier statement. AK(7.62 x 39) for me, AR(5.56/.223) for the wife. Hangun, Glock 20 w/10MM barrel & 2 mags for me, Glock 27 w/9MM barrel & 2 mags for the wife. Ammo for the primary calibers and ability to shoot the secondaries if need be.

OK.
Asia. U.S military.
North America. U. S. Military. True, not any really bad places here.
Africa. None of your business.

Care to share anything about yours "recon"?

You bet secret santa. Not only will I share my info, which by the way is not "secret" but in my profile, I'll share pics. USMC 5 years active duty 2111 mos, USCG 5 years active duty mk3, NOPD 3 years police officer, SO in NM 1 year deputy sheriff, US Customs since 2003. I don't pretend to be a superhero or special forces like many here. I was and am what I am. Firearms and Tactics instructor, armorer, LEO, Bording team officer, Counter Terrorism Response Team Officer and trainer, participant in multiple TDYs in war torn and SHTF regions. Collective amount of 23+ years in the field professionally. I used to not post as much info as it really is a lot of personal info, but in this case it warrants it. I cannot stand people who lie. So the ante is up and time for you to put up or shut up. Either you are telling the truth or you're lying. Bottom line. Burden is on you bear. Nothing personal, but as I said I have a problem with people without integrity. So either you have it or you dont.

I'll start with a pic of me in theatre from 2007. OIF 4. Those that were there know what it is. Those here on the board that have met me FTF can verify this is me.

www.fototime.com_603A04C215C6961_standard.jpg

Having a little fun looking at the fire truck at LZ Washington.
www.fototime.com_740FBDBD530DE59_standard.jpg

Preparing to leave the wire.
www.fototime.com_8E06E533ED37D95_standard.jpg

Pulling watch at the customs lot.
www.fototime.com_20ABFF277EBCA3F_standard.jpg

At the vehicle checkpoint with the marines
www.fototime.com_716F6343DA744CE_standard.jpg

2005 New Orleans, Katrina response. A buddy of mine who is a cop there, went to the academy with him. Faces were blacked out at the time due to ongoing issues and dangers.
www.fototime.com_ACB2F62E7F46868_standard.jpg

I have even more that have not been uploaded at the moment to my online host.

Any other requests?

Gentlemen, I have all the dignity in the world. What I don't have is a tolerance for people that call me a liar. As a previous poster stated, I should never have even brought my history up and if you recall I didn't until you folks insultingly claimed I didn't know what I was talking about. What scares the hell out of me, recon, is that you're a firearms and tactical instructor that thinks highly of a 22lr as a defensive weapon, considers a 30 grain bullet going 1700fps as "Hyper Sonic", that you will play ninja yourself and kill all the bad guys via stealth with said 22lr and you are promoting the idea of doing this on this thread. Wow, just wow!

One thing I can and will confirm for you is my expertise in bullet design and ballistics.

www.preciseammunition.com

That would be me at the top of the home page.

Bear44, out.

I came to know Bear44, the man behind Precise Ammunition, because as a professional taxidermist I was mounting his safari trophies from Zimbabwe. During one of our conversations we began to discuss bullets used and ammunition in general. He informed me of his company and I decided to have him do a custom load for my Ruger M77 in .270 Win. I have been reloading my own ammo for 35 years and have been using Barnes X bullets for around 15 years. As a former Marine Corps Base rifle and pistol team captain I know a bit about shooting. I have been on 5 African safaris and killed everything from a dik-dik to 4 cape buffalo with Barnes X bullets. I have taken over 150 big game animals. For 35 years I have shot 130 grain bullets in my 270 Win. I asked Alan to load me some 140 grain Barnes Triple-Shock X bullets. In about a week he delivered my rifle and ammo. He had the tightest groups ever shot from that rifle. I went to the range and checked my zero and no adjustments were needed. I was hoping to nail a big buck this fall but all I have seen were young bucks and some does. I have been able to shoot some does for the freezer, 3 shots and 3 deer. 2 dropped in their tracks and 1 ran 30 yards. I could not be happier with any other load.

Wm . Lloyd Johnson III * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
Master's Wildlife Services
8 West Square
Washington , Georgia 30673
706-678-1440
www.masterswildlifeservices.com

Well I guess we know what you were doing Africa now.

Nothing personal Bear, but you're a reloader, not an expert on combat arms efficiency. You base your info on reloading charts and chronograph data...which is all well and good when firing from the bench or in a controllable hunting environment.But ask any operator in any field and they'll tell you the high regard they have for the guys who tell them how stuff should work.

Don't tell us how to survive and we won't tell you how to resize, decap, prime, charge, bell and then seat any of your ammo.

Truce?

Last edited:
Well I guess we know what you were doing Africa now.

Nothing personal Bear, but you're a reloader, not an expert on combat arms efficiency. You base your info on reloading charts and chronograph data...which is all well and good when firing from the bench or in a controllable hunting environment.But ask any operator in any field and they'll tell you the high regard they have for the guys who tell them how stuff should work.

Don't tell us how to survive and we won't tell you how to resize, decap, prime, charge, bell and then seat any of your ammo.

Truce?

I wrote a long and nasty responce to this, but I chose not to post it. It would just get deleted anyway. LOL! Just a couple of quick things. First of all, there's just a little more to it than throwing components together. Second, you don't know squat about me, but you believe whatever you want. Third, truce? Nope. You guys have repeatedly called me a liar and still are. The people around me in the real world know who I am and what I've done. I really don't care about what a couple of keyboard commandos think, but we'll never be warm and fuzzy with each other.

BTW, the trip to Africa referred to above was obviously well after my active duty days. It really is possible to go someplace more than once.

I wrote a long and nasty responce to this, but I chose not to post it. It would just get deleted anyway. LOL! Just a couple of quick things. First of all, there's just a little more to it than throwing components together. Second, you don't know squat about me, but you believe whatever you want. Third, truce? Nope. You guys have repeatedly called me a liar and still are. The people around me in the real world know who I am and what I've done. I really don't care about what a couple of keyboard commandos think, but we'll never be warm and fuzzy with each other.

BTW, the trip to Africa referred to above was obviously well after my active duty days. It really is possible to go someplace more than once.

Well there you have it folks.

You are delusional if you think I am a keyboard commando and equate you safari experiances to real combat.

Back
Top Bottom