• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another SHTF question!

Nice to know you live in a perfect world. Personally I would think that the very fact that SHTF has happened negates the idea of a perfect world and adaptability would be of utmost importance to survival. Just because my weapon can kill him at long range does not mean I can't also kill him at point blank. If I have to kill him at point blank it would be even more important to drop him instantly which is ANOTHER reason to use a more powerful round.

One other thought. What are you going to do about the three other men that are with the bad guy you just killed via stealth after they see him go down and are now within 100 yards of YOU and are armed with more powerful weapons than you 22lr? Or would that not happen in your perfect world?
Since when did I say I would be alone? I have engaged multiple untrained tangos without an issue. To begin with I engage on my terms not yours. If I engage those terms will be extremely in my favor, not yours.

Having a little more than arguementitive antedotal experiance to work with I know that I will be fine and there is no need to do anything more than laugh at your silly misinformed posts.

Well hell, that means my 168 grain 308 round traveling at 2600fps must be Ultra Hyper velocity. Wow, I never realized that before. It's even more effective than I thought! Thanks for pointing it out!

Obviously you don't realize the term "Hyper Velocity" is relative to other 22lr ammo and is a marketing ploy of the manufactures. I don't think making decisions that effect your survival on a marketing ploy is a wise approach.

And obviously you have no clue about ballistics and bullet design and effect.

Btw you never answered my question back on the first couple pages...

Last I checked 556 is still current issue and there are no plans on the table to replace it anytime soon.
Update yourself. Bear44 v2.0 has been out for a while...

Its had failures. They were quickly fixed and gun was returned to action. None were deadlining.

Correct. Pretty impressive for such an abused weapon, nonetheless. Especially one of those "jam-o-matic" Stoner rifles... Because what would one of the most dominant forces (the US military) in the history of civilization know about fighting and the tools necessary to do so effectively?

I think any long gun is a good choice. Lots of people like to argue about platforms and cartridges... I think tactics, training and adaptability reign supreme. Here's an idea to kick around... throw some untrained smelly middle eastern men our M4s and M16-A4s in exchange for their poorly maintained AKs. I'm willing to bet our guys continue to kick ass with alarming frequency. The mind IS the weapon.

Correct. Pretty impressive for such an abused weapon, nonetheless. Especially one of those "jam-o-matic" Stoner rifles... Because what would one of the most dominant forces (the US military) in the history of civilization know about fighting and the tools necessary to do so effectively?

I think any long gun is a good choice. Lots of people like to argue about platforms and cartridges... I think tactics, training and adaptability reign supreme. Here's an idea to kick around... throw some untrained smelly middle eastern men our M4s and M16-A4s in exchange for their poorly maintained AKs. I'm willing to bet our guys continue to kick ass with alarming frequency. The mind IS the weapon.

Dead on accurate.

Interesting how you guys make assumptions about my lack of experience because I dare to disagree with you and challenge your tactical planing. I point out the flaws in your thought process of how you THINK things will happen and you think I'm being insulting. All I have done is point out what I believe to be the folly in your planing.

I have also said all along that the choice of a cartridge for a battle rifle is a compromise and pointed out why the 5.56 was chosen. I just don't think it was a good compromise. OK, I got a little smart when you started talking about how effective the 22lr would be in combat, but please.

You have also made the mistake of thinking that because I do not flaunt my experience that I don't have any. The fact is that I have real world experience in bad places on three continents. Yes, I'm old school at this point, but things simply have not changed that much.

As for my lack of understanding of ballistics and bullet design, wrong again. Understanding this is my job and I'm quite good at it as several of the members of the ODT and personnel that are still in active combat can attest to.

The reason that the 5.56 is still our primary battle round is because there are still many that believe the compromise is a good one and it would be much to expensive to replace it. I do hope I live long enough to see what the next major battle rifle will be. I'm absolutely sure that whatever it is will be substantially more powerful than the 5.56.

Last edited:
You have also made the mistake of thinking that because I do not flaunt my experience that I don't have any. The fact is that I have real world experience in bad places on three continents. Yes, I'm old school at this point, but things simply have not changed that much.

As for my lack of understanding of ballistics and bullet design, wrong again. Understanding this is my job and I'm quite good at it as several of the members of the ODT and personnel that are still in active combat can attest to.
[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

LOL! Honestly serious, not mall ninja. Others will testify to this. Look, I didn't mean for this to deteriorate and for me to become as much of a smart ass as I did. But come on man, look at the posts I was responding to. I always keep in mind that there is a good possibility that there are people that have little experience in this type of thing reading these threads and for them to get the impression that a 22lr would be an acceptable primary weapon in a SHTF survival situation is just wrong. A discussion about the pros and cons of the AR15, AR10 and the AK47 is valid and constructive, but to try and convince anyone that the 22lr in any configuration is a viable primary weapon is, well.....

Back
Top Bottom