• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another SHTF question!

I just wondered if you started the thread to get the AR fanboys and the AK komrades into a fisticuffs! ;)

I didnt actually, but it has been kinda fun to sit back and watch em get at it! hahaha and im glad they aren't getting unruley with it either! I have no problem closing a thread when it gets out of control...nothing irritates me more than folks being smart A's on others posts, or bashing others for their beliefs/opinions within their posts, and for folks to start duking it out in someone else's posts. Glad Steve made it clear in the new rules that such behavior will be delt with!

Whatever you have from an AR to an AK to a bolt action deer rifle puts you well in advance of the pack. I expect that there is no advantage either of the choices set forth in the original post possess that aren't countered by features of the other. Tactics are going to be much more important than choice in weaponry.

I would advise anyone living in this country to make use of a weapon utilizing the standard issue 5.56X45 round and STANAG mags if at all possible... Logistics and all that good stuff.

What happened to stealth to reach your objective? 500...600 yard shots? 300 yard shots even? The guy just wants to get home! At least that would be my plan. I wonder if the cops/NG would say "have a nice day", "drop the rifle dirtbag",or just grease you on sight?" Remember the cops in Katrina? :rolleyes:

He won't know I'm even there if I let him get that close. That's the trick brother! ;) BTGTBTS.

Nice to know you live in a perfect world. Personally I would think that the very fact that SHTF has happened negates the idea of a perfect world and adaptability would be of utmost importance to survival. Just because my weapon can kill him at long range does not mean I can't also kill him at point blank. If I have to kill him at point blank it would be even more important to drop him instantly which is ANOTHER reason to use a more powerful round.

One other thought. What are you going to do about the three other men that are with the bad guy you just killed via stealth after they see him go down and are now within 100 yards of YOU and are armed with more powerful weapons than you 22lr? Or would that not happen in your perfect world?

Last edited:
Um. yes. likely.

Hyper velocityMany .22 LR cartridges use bullets lighter than the standard 40-grain (2.6 g), fired at even higher velocities. Hyper velocity bullets usually weigh around 30-grain (1.9 g) to 32-grain (2.1 g) and can have a muzzle velocity of 1,400 feet per second (430 m/s) to 1,800 feet per second (550 m/s). This higher velocity is partially due to the use of lighter bullets.

The CCI Stinger was the first hyper velocity .22 LR cartridge, and provided a significant increase in velocity and energy over standard .22 LR rounds. The Stinger case is longer than that of the Long Rifle (approx. .71 inches (18 mm) versus .595 inches (15.1 mm) for the Long Rifle) but the plated hollow point bullet is lighter and shorter at 32-grain (2.1 g), giving the same overall length as the Long Rifle cartridge. A powder with a slower burning rate is used to make the most use of the length of a rifle barrel.[citation needed] Most .22 Long Rifle powders increase velocity up to about 19 inches (480 mm) of barrel length; the powder used in the Stinger increases velocity up to the longest .22 barrel length tested by the NRA, 26 inches (660 mm).[citation needed]

Later hyper velocity rounds were introduced by other makers based on the Long Rifle case with lighter bullets in the 30-grain (1.9 g) weight range and slow burning rifle powder loadings. The overall length of many of these cartridges was less than the standard overall length of the standard Long Rifle.[citation needed] One example was the Remington Viper, another is the Federal Spitfire.

The CCI Velocitor hyper velocity round uses the standard Long Rifle case size and a standard weight 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet of proprietary hollow point design to augment expansion and trauma for hunting. This cartridge has a muzzle velocity of 1,435 feet per second (437 m/s). Due to the better ratio of bullet mass to air resistance, Velocitor performs better at longer range compared to the light bullets of other hyper velocity rounds.[citation needed]

READ my friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle#Hyper_velocity

Well hell, that means my 168 grain 308 round traveling at 2600fps must be Ultra Hyper velocity. Wow, I never realized that before. It's even more effective than I thought! Thanks for pointing it out!

Obviously you don't realize the term "Hyper Velocity" is relative to other 22lr ammo and is a marketing ploy of the manufactures. I don't think making decisions that effect your survival on a marketing ploy is a wise approach.

Last edited:
What happened to stealth to reach your objective? 500...600 yard shots? 300 yard shots even? The guy just wants to get home! At least that would be my plan. I wonder if the cops/NG would say "have a nice day", "drop the rifle dirtbag",or just grease you on sight?" Remember the cops in Katrina? :rolleyes:

Use stealth whenever you can, of course. But what happens when stealth doesn't work and what happens when you have gotten to where you are going and then have to defend what you have at that position? The farther away you can start killing the attackers, the less likely the attack will succeed. Come on folks, these are some of the simplest tactical concepts.

As for LE, if it gets this bad there won't be any.

Back
Top Bottom