• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another SHTF question!

I always keep in mind that there is a good possibility that there are people that have little experience in this type of thing reading these threads and for them to get the impression that a 22lr would be an acceptable primary weapon in a SHTF survival situation is just wrong.

That's me. I've found this entire thread very interesting. We're learning the AR-15 platform now. Our next purchase was going to be something that eats .308 ammo, but a AK has been an interest for a while. I think we'll try both.

That's me. I've found this entire thread very interesting. We're learning the AR-15 platform now. Our next purchase was going to be something that eats .308 ammo, but a AK has been an interest for a while. I think we'll try both.

When you try out the 308 remember that the only weapons that are battle type and give good accuracy that I personally know of are the AR10 and M1A/M14 platforms. A short barrel, 16 to 18 inches, will still give you good MV while keeping the weapon reasonably maneuverable for CQB. I went with the DPMS AR10 type because they are reliable, accurate, easily accessorized and are a LOT less expansive than the M1A/M14. This is the specific model I chose.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262505015

Make sure you get the one with the flash suppressor. It's threaded and that makes it easy to replace with a muzzle break so the recoil is almost nonexistent. I had a local smith do it while I waited for $85.00 including the cost of the break. The trigger is not great so I replaced it with a good drop in. About $225.00. Break the barrel in carefully. Mine shoots 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips into just over 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I load my own and that helps, but it is an inherently accurate rifle.

A discussion about the pros and cons of the AR15, AR10 and the AK47 is valid and constructive, but to try and convince anyone that the 22lr in any configuration is a viable primary weapon is, well.....

My 2 cents for anyone that cares. My 22lr is my primary SURVIVAL weapon. I have an AR7, it is small, is good for game, waterproof, relatively quiet and I (we) can carry a bunch of rounds. My PRIMARY SHTF weapon is my RRA AR15 and my M&P9. All 3 are always close together. ALTHOUGH having any one of them is better than having none.

Rotflmao!

So let's see the three continet's worth of real world experiance. I'm sure plenty here would like to know. If I'm wrong I'm not beyond saying so.

Btw I never stated that .22 was an acceptable combat round only that it is an effective round at putting people down.

My 2 cents for anyone that cares. My 22lr is my primary SURVIVAL weapon. I have an AR7, it is small, is good for game, waterproof, relatively quiet and I (we) can carry a bunch of rounds. My PRIMARY SHTF weapon is my RRA AR15 and my M&P9. All 3 are always close together. ALTHOUGH having any one of them is better than having none.

I recently got an AR7 and I LOVE it!

Getting back to the topic at hand, I'm an AR fan. It's lightweight, ammo is readily available, and most of the ammo is brass cased. 7.62x39 is a great round, but if you want to get into some Apocalypse Now type scenario, steel cased ammo rusts and is non-reloadable. I had some Wolf .308 that was steel cased that developed surface rust (albeit light rust) while sitting in a Rubbermaid container under the bed.

I like the AR for it's light weight, low recoil, and collapsible stock. We're in the US, so there are plenty of parts for it out there. Mags are plentiful and inexpensive. It might need some TLC, but even the AK won't run if the barrel is full of mud.

In a perfect situation, you'd have a lightweight, recoil reducing, semi-auto, high capacity, compact .300 Win Mag or .50 BMG that was as accurate at 25 yards as it was at 2,000 that could run with a system full of mud. Much like a carry weapon, anything you want to designate as this type of weapon is going to be a compromise.

Rotflmao!

So let's see the three continet's worth of real world experiance. I'm sure plenty here would like to know. If I'm wrong I'm not beyond saying so.

Btw I never stated that .22 was an acceptable combat round only that it is an effective round at putting people down.

OK.
Asia. U.S military.
North America. U. S. Military. True, not any really bad places here.
Africa. None of your business.

Care to share anything about yours "recon"?

Back
Top Bottom