• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another SHTF question!

Gentlemen, I have all the dignity in the world. What I don't have is a tolerance for people that call me a liar. As a previous poster stated, I should never have even brought my history up and if you recall I didn't until you folks insultingly claimed I didn't know what I was talking about. What scares the hell out of me, recon, is that you're a firearms and tactical instructor that thinks highly of a 22lr as a defensive weapon, considers a 30 grain bullet going 1700fps as "Hyper Sonic", that you will play ninja yourself and kill all the bad guys via stealth with said 22lr and you are promoting the idea of doing this on this thread. Wow, just wow!

One thing I can and will confirm for you is my expertise in bullet design and ballistics.

www.preciseammunition.com

That would be me at the top of the home page.

Bear44, out.

Nice website. So how familiar are you with terminal ballistics on a human being?
I'm certain you know .338 mag etc but your replies that discount the effectiveness of a simple 22 (which I never touted as the end all defensive round just more wordsmithing on your part) tell me that you don't know much if anything when it comes to that subject matter. Also if you are a safari man I'm also certain that you know as well as I do that shot placement trumps bullet size when you're shooting those cape buffalo....

Sir you have muddied your described experiance with vague references shrouded or veiled in an attempt to portray yourself as something you truly are not. In my book that makes you dishonest at the minimum.

If you disagree then that is your perogative. I have been dealing with folks doing this since 1996 online.

Either you can stand on your own merits or you can be whoever you wish to be on the internet.....

AR platform...hands down. The reason being, it is much easier for to change parts that could break on the AR. The AR platform was designed so that anyone with basic tools would be able to work on and replace parts. An AK on the other hand, is very difficult to work on without a full service armory at your disposal which likely will not be available when the SHTF. Imagine trying to replace a barrel on an AK with nothing but some punches and a mallet. It can be done, sure, but it sure as hell ain't going to be easy (forgive the colloquialism). Imagine trying to properly headspace a new bolt for an AK while in the field. What if a trunion cracks? AKs were not designed to be easily worked on at the individual level. ARs were designed with modularity in mind. I can easily change a barrel or a bolt, or a trigger group on my AR without having to worry about headspacing and or having a hydraulic press to remove the barrel from the trunion. I also don't have to worry about trying to re-rivet something in the field. An AK is a solid platform and I like them a lot, but I would take an AR for the reasons stated.

Well guys, anyone reading this can see how weak your crap is. You have latched on to the fact that I'm now a civilian and that my web site refers to a hunting trip in Africa to try and repeatedly say that this is the Africa experience I spoke of when it clearly is not. My experience in the Military was over before yours ever began.

Well guys, anyone reading this can see how weak your crap is. You have latched on to the fact that I'm now a civilian and that my web site refers to a hunting trip in Africa to try and repeatedly say that this is the Africa experience I spoke of when it clearly is not. My experience in the Military was over before yours ever began.
Then enlighten us sir...

My experience in the Military was over before yours ever began.
Somehow, I don't doubt that statement one bit.

I've said my piece. Agree to disagree and moving on...my only concern in this whole matter is how unyielding you were with others opinions and I simply found that ironic in light of your choice in sig lines. If you want to hump a 7.62x51 weapon system through the suck, you go right ahead and do that.

I would be interested to see your military credentials since you offered them up as proof of your experience, but should they vanish, I'll give you a pass...after all, the internet? Serious business.

What if a trunion cracks? AKs were not designed to be easily worked on at the individual level.
Solid point...but they are cheap enough that if a trunion cracks, you throw yours down and pick up another one off the ground, charge it and you're good to go. ;)

Solid point...but they are cheap enough that if a trunion cracks, you throw yours down and pick up another one off the ground, charge it and you're good to go. ;)

I don't disagree with you at all, but I still like the idea that the majority of failures on my AR are relatively easily fixed on an individual level, because I like my rifle. It's set up exactly the way I want it, and I know that I am fast, efficient, and accurate with that rifle, so if I don't have to pick up another rifle and get used to its idiosyncrasies, then so much the better.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I still like the idea that the majority of failures on my AR are relatively easily fixed on an individual level, because I like my rifle. It's set up exactly the way I want it, and I know that I am fast, efficient, and accurate with that rifle, so if I don't have to pick up another rifle and get used to its idiosyncrasies, then so much the better.
Agreed...like I said in my first post...six of one, have a dozen of the other.

The main point to me is pick a platform and practice with it. The ar platform has the advantage of a 22 conversion drop in kit which seriously helps with training on that particular platform. The modular design makes it a winner in my book. I love aks too but my primarys are all ar platform based.

Back
Top Bottom