• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want an AK-47 But know nothing......

Or get a nice parts kit and build it yourself. The best way to "understand" AK's is to build one. Takes some specialized jigs, and a press and a drill press, but its not really that hard.

I have owned Chinese, Bulgarian, Romanian, Egyptian, Yugoslavian and Polish AKs. I currently have a Romanian, Bulgarian and Israeli AK in the safe, all chambered in 7.62x39. Never owned a "Made in the USA AK" so I have nothing to say about them.

If you want a traditional AK, the best bang for the buck is probably the Zastava ZPAP M70. It has all the euro-communist tech/parts and hammer forged, chrome lined barrel. It does lack the bayonet lug though. If you look around you can probably find a slightly used one for $900ish.

The second best bang for the buck communist AK would be the Romanian SAR-1. It, and it's close counterpart the Maadi PARS/ACC INTRAC are about as close as you are going to get to a factory made Russian AK. The only real difference in the two is the Maadi has no side rail for mounting optics and the SAR-1 does. Well, that and the price. Maadi's are way over priced these days, usually hovering around $1800 to $2000. You can still find SAR-1's for around $1000 or a little less, but they get a little more expensive every day. My de-banned SAR-1:

View attachment 6568983

View attachment 6569014

Circle 10 factory Arsenal Bulgarian AKs are a fine choice, but they are like the Maadi, overpriced these days. You might be able to find one around $1500. What you are more likely to find are the SLR 107-11, more commonly known as the SLR 107R. The stamped receiver is not circle 10 factory product but made by ISO. I had one and it was a twisted mess, canted rear trunnion/canted rear sight block/canted front sight base. They run around $1200ish, no way I would pay that for one. Here is a pic of my factory Circle 10 SLR 107CR:

View attachment 6569001

Now, if money ain't too tight and you want a more modern AK you can't do any better than the IWI GEN 1 ACE! It is without a doubt the finest AK platform I have owned. Forged/milled receiver and the best fit I have ever seen. They are hard to find because IWI has moved on the the GEN 2....but if you are lucky and quick on the draw you might be able to find one for $2000ish. Pic:

View attachment 6569023

View attachment 6569094

If money is tight, hold out for a WASR 10/63. You should be able to find one used for $800ish maybe even less, sometimes ever here, although the ODT is mostly the Land of the $1200 WASR.

If you don't care about country of origin, The PSA GF5 series AK ($1100ish) has a FN chrome lined/hammer forged barrel and has excellent reviews over on The AKOU, so does the GF3 ($700ish). I'm not sure he has tested a GF4 ($900ish), maybe?

Check out the link below...lots of good info/reviews over there on just about every AK mentioned in the thread.

AK Operators Union

Of the AKs I've sold, the SAR-1 is the one I should have kept.

Do you want an AK, or an AK with history? If you just want an AK and care about nothing else then I recommend the PSAK. Gen 4 and 5 come with an FN barrel. You only need to research when you are looking at imports or historical pieces. Obama banned Russian Firearm imports so you will pay a premium for these rifles. They used to be very popular because they were very old and made in very poor countries so we (Americans) could own quality battle rifles for pennies on the dollar. That isn't the case anymore (Thanks Obama). The issue with American Aks is the QC due to companies trying to match the price point of an old imported foreign ak. The equivalent should cost an American company about 3-5 grand but they keep trying to pump out rifles in the old imported price point. Palmetto State Armory has stepped up to disrupt the market and back all of their work. Theyve partnered with FNH, Toolcraft, and Geissele on later models to bring us more quality at a lower cost. IMO we need to support PSA in these inflated times.

It's OK not to understand why the AK is better than the AR
No one weapon is better than another. The one you carry, keep with you, and like is the best weapon made! Hi-point to HK, Keltec to TTI pit viper, shoot what you like and carry (and keep with you) what you shoot. AK vs SCAR? PSA vs Daniel Defense? It don't matter.
AKs run in the mud but they are made to "spray and pray".

No one weapon is better than another. The one you carry, keep with you, and like is the best weapon made! Hi-point to HK, Keltec to TTI pit viper, shoot what you like and carry (and keep with you) what you shoot. AK vs SCAR? PSA vs Daniel Defense? It don't matter.
AKs run in the mud but they are made to "spray and pray".
Respectfully, not all AKs are the same. Some are definitely better than others.

Now if you're talking quality AKs, then yes, it's personal choice.

shutterstock_297886754_-_h_2017.jpg

Screenshot_20231205_071152_MeWe.jpg

Respectfully, not all AKs are the same. Some are definitely better than others.

Now if you're talking quality AKs, then yes, it's personal choice.
I know they're not, but AKs are know to run but not necessarily be accurate. I've personally never owned or fired one, at all. I don't know the difference be AK47 and AK74?

Back
Top Bottom