• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want an AK-47 But know nothing......

why do people trash century and PSAK??!?!?!?!?! no real answers aside from.... "unless you want the trunnion to blow up in your face"....i need answers!
They dont dimpel the receiver for rivets that hold in the front trunnion. Lots of barrels with incorrectly clocked extractor slots, and lots of bolts that have like 30% bolt lug to trunnion lug surface contact

They dont dimpel the receiver for rivets that hold in the front trunnion. Lots of barrels with incorrectly clocked extractor slots, and lots of bolts that have like 30% bolt lug to trunnion lug surface contact
Not to mention cracked and deformed front trunnions, broken firing pins , sheared lug in the bolt etc

I've had two of the blems and had no issues with them they both functioned well with any issues. I've had wasrs that worked fine as a budget option too, just had to look at the sights to make sure they weren't canted.
There’s really nothing wrong with a canted sight, unless you can’t adjust the sight post itself enough to zero it.

Nothing depressing about it, just facts. I like a quality weapon that will last a lifetime under heavy use
The fact is an AK will 1000% outperform an AR in all conditions. The only way to even compare the two is to have a piston AR……and guess what? That is basically an AK.

You will not get a lifetime of use with gas impingement, the common set up in an AR. That gas tube is the biggest weak point every time.

I guess what I’m trying to say is get an AK……now! Treat yo self!
1701881432935.gif

The fact is an AK will 1000% outperform an AR in all conditions. The only way to even compare the two is to have a piston AR……and guess what? That is basically an AK.

You will not get a lifetime of use with gas impingement, the common set up in an AR. That gas tube is the biggest weak point every time.

I guess what I’m trying to say is get an AK……now! Treat yo self!
View attachment 6568882
Nah, but more power to you. I've been using ARs for 40+ yrs. No need to change now. I like your avatar

People who bash on the PSA GF3 AK's spend too much time on Reddit and other forums listening to loser AK snobs who are just upset that PSA makes an AK every bit as good as the Russian piece of **** AK they had to pay 2k+ for not because it's a quality gun, but because the import restrictions make it more expensive to acquire.

Robski has extensively tested the GF3. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for you.

I have owned Chinese, Bulgarian, Romanian, Egyptian, Yugoslavian and Polish AKs. I currently have a Romanian, Bulgarian and Israeli AK in the safe, all chambered in 7.62x39. Never owned a "Made in the USA AK" so I have nothing to say about them.

If you want a traditional AK, the best bang for the buck is probably the Zastava ZPAP M70. It has all the euro-communist tech/parts and hammer forged, chrome lined barrel. It does lack the bayonet lug though. If you look around you can probably find a slightly used one for $900ish.

The second best bang for the buck communist AK would be the Romanian SAR-1. It, and it's close counterpart the Maadi PARS/ACC INTRAC are about as close as you are going to get to a factory made Russian AK. The only real difference in the two is the Maadi has no side rail for mounting optics and the SAR-1 does. Well, that and the price. Maadi's are way over priced these days, usually hovering around $1800 to $2000. You can still find SAR-1's for around $1000 or a little less, but they get a little more expensive every day. My de-banned SAR-1:

DSC03435.JPG

SAR4.JPG

Circle 10 factory Arsenal Bulgarian AKs are a fine choice, but they are like the Maadi, overpriced these days. You might be able to find one around $1500. What you are more likely to find are the SLR 107-11, more commonly known as the SLR 107R. The stamped receiver is not circle 10 factory product but made by ISO. I had one and it was a twisted mess, canted rear trunnion/canted rear sight block/canted front sight base. They run around $1200ish, no way I would pay that for one. Here is a pic of my factory Circle 10 SLR 107CR:

Arsenal CR.jpg

Now, if money ain't too tight and you want a more modern AK you can't do any better than the IWI GEN 1 ACE! It is without a doubt the finest AK platform I have owned. Forged/milled receiver and the best fit I have ever seen. They are hard to find because IWI has moved on the the GEN 2....but if you are lucky and quick on the draw you might be able to find one for $2000ish. Pic:

IWI ACE 2.jpg

IWI ACE 1.jpg

If money is tight, hold out for a WASR 10/63. You should be able to find one used for $800ish maybe even less, sometimes ever here, although the ODT is mostly the Land of the $1200 WASR.

If you don't care about country of origin, The PSA GF5 series AK ($1100ish) has a FN chrome lined/hammer forged barrel and has excellent reviews over on The AKOU, so does the GF3 ($700ish). I'm not sure he has tested a GF4 ($900ish), maybe?

Check out the link below...lots of good info/reviews over there on just about every AK mentioned in the thread.

AK Operators Union

Back
Top Bottom