• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Undecided Project

Shim goes between latch and trigger. That way trigger and latch are held closer to their respective sides of the frame.

Arthritis project is not done. Probably start shaping topstrap and bluing prep tomorrow. Been hunting with Dad.....4 Bucks in 2 each 30 minute morning hunts. Getting ready for another two hunting trips this month so sorta working on the guns between laundry and preparations for the hunt.

The Gentlemans Workhorse is on hold till the Arthritis project is completed and in the interim I'll decide how to mount a buffler on the barrel!

Can't wait to see that front sight! Not gonna be too many like it i am sure! Sounds like some good huntin.

.45 ACP huh? Hmmmm.....It would work beautifully !!

Last edited:
After stalling a while....finally some decisions on the direction for this one. I was searching for a used 357 to convert to 45 ACP while I had a same size frame 45 caliber on hand. Just needed to ditch the 45 Colt caliber for something more useful, available, cheeper and that I actually loaded and shot regularly. A logistics decision and it'll serve my needs quite well.

So, a like new in box 45 ACP Cylinder that I acquired, fitted and it was so close a fit that it was a 10 minute job to polish it into a perfect end shake free fit. Lines up, times up and fired cases drop in and out and work just great. Even without a sight Its time to give it a test firing. I see some 260g WC revolver only loads in the future.

And, now that I've done a few, the top strap is 90% nosed in about 15 minutes. I even have some 50 thousands scribe lines in place should I decide to flat top the top strap and then I can bevel it over a bit on its length to make it look slimmer over all.

Finally, measuring the barrel at the 3.5" mark I have more than enough wall thickness to install an ejector rod stud directly in the barrel and perhaps for a shallow dovetail front sight or definitely enough for a screw on front ramp. We shall have to mull it over some more....meantime I have some lovely bar stock to make a front ramp from.

i.imgur.com_PznhCJt.jpg

i.imgur.com_1mn9rNt.jpg

i.imgur.com_GAc0wdP.jpg

i.imgur.com_c0S0EaQ.jpg

Flat top 90% completed. Also started in the parallel edge bevels. I'll probably soften these bevels up along the top sides with a rounder profile. The overall look of the gun should be curvaceous not square/straight or sharp edged.

Nothing is ever completely flat from the factory....buffer most likely. That lil blackened dip will be gone till the draw filing is done.

i.imgur.com_lG9dQEe.jpg

From the loading side.

i.imgur.com_pd6Nzzn.jpg

Flat top looks real nice with a profiled beak.

i.imgur.com_MTEBXvW.jpg

i.imgur.com_quLWvUF.jpg

From the off side.

i.imgur.com_woNgLFC.jpg

No, the rear sight is the same height as before. Ruger just drills the pin holes pretty close. We have a good 40thou or so roof there so the sight will stay put.

As for the Buffalo....I'm lookin over a lovely piece of Thompson Center Muzzleloader underrib. Just about the right countor, neat reverse bevels and a fair height that may allow installin a buffler sight out front. We'll see. I gotta decide on barrel length. This will be my main carry gun in 45 ACP so its a big decision. I liked the 357 in 3.5 inch but maybe 45 should be shorter or longer.....dunno yet.

Started out with Thompson Center muzzleloader under rib....shaped, slotted and center drilled for a 6x48 screw, then finished shaped a buffler from a buffler nickel that was donated to the project.

i.imgur.com_1EDadvl.jpg

Now the barrel of this 45 Colt come 45 ACP revolver ain't gonna stay 5+ inches long but for now while I'm experimenting.......I stuck the polished and cleaned up buffler front sight on the barrel with a bit of BlackMax.....

i.imgur.com_2JoA3XA.jpg

A lil closer....

i.imgur.com_DPP1AaL.jpg

View from a tree stand.....

i.imgur.com_EjS2vri.jpg

The Indian Head side....

i.imgur.com_krpwJqf.jpg

Standing back to take it in a bit....

i.imgur.com_KsSKWam.jpg

In some better light....

i.imgur.com_pduBTj9.jpg

Started out with Thompson Center muzzleloader under rib....shaped, slotted and center drilled for a 6x48 screw, then finished shaped a buffler from a buffler nickel that was donated to the project.

i.imgur.com_1EDadvl.jpg

Now the barrel of this 45 Colt come 45 ACP revolver ain't gonna stay 5+ inches long but for now while I'm experimenting.......I stuck the polished and cleaned up buffler front sight on the barrel with a bit of BlackMax.....

i.imgur.com_2JoA3XA.jpg

A lil closer....

i.imgur.com_DPP1AaL.jpg

View from a tree stand.....

i.imgur.com_EjS2vri.jpg

The Indian Head side....

i.imgur.com_krpwJqf.jpg

Standing back to take it in a bit....

i.imgur.com_KsSKWam.jpg

In some better light....

i.imgur.com_pduBTj9.jpg
That sir......is awesome!

Coin sights are cool. cuttin em out is even cooler. I.m gunna do a ramp with fire sight too. see wahat I like best. but it should make for interchangeable sighting!

After cutting the barrel one last time to achieve a proper length of 3.5"+ enough for cleaning up......jigging the barrel to drill one each 6x48 screw hole for the front sight.

The wall thickness here is sufficient for a .1" deep hole allowing for 4.8 threads and more than .050" in the roof. I drilled .074 deep allowing for 3ish threads and greater roof over the bore....typically, the recommendation for holes near the muzzle is .050" roof for a #6 screw hole, as I recall its .075 roof for a #8 hole near the muzzle. I ain't near the muzzle, so, I'm leaving more metal in the bottom of the hole. As near as I recall, roof over the breech end/chamber is recommended to be at least double that left at the muzzle. But that's all memory.....though its been my habit for years and has served me well.....I never had a sight screw fly straight up at a shot.

i.imgur.com_x6N5yzZ.jpg

And once drilled, tapped with the jig still in place to guide the tap.

i.imgur.com_CgVqtXj.jpg

A good clean hole with strong threads right at 12 of the clock.

i.imgur.com_jkvGMhd.jpg

Once installed with a touch of cold blue to make sure I got all the solder off the sides....

i.imgur.com_5XvNJPl.jpg

The ruger banner polished off the side of the barrel...

i.imgur.com_7VVUBSx.jpg

Oh yeah, Plowshare RP Colt grip is now a Birdshead!

i.imgur.com_T45zN7V.jpg

Back
Top Bottom