• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Undecided Project

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
In so far as it'll either be brought up to running condition or taken further. But for now that's undecided.

Waiting on a hammer and a new Ruger Stainless cylinder pin. It looks rougher in the photos than it really is. Bore is perfect and like all 1974 manufacture Ruger 45 Colts, it has cylinder bores suited for .454" bullets with a smaller diameter bore.

Here is what I am working with. Finish on steel is 80+% with light freckling on the frame and cylinder. Barrel is better and the finish on the aluminum N series grip frame is well over 90%.

i.imgur.com_nhzFfgj.jpg

i.imgur.com_8AIm0A9.jpg

So, I have 6 45 Colt cases. They are about as rare as can be right now. I pulled out the .452" 260g lead round noses and recharged them with a sane amount of Bullseye and a sized LEE REAL muzzleloading bullet. A 256g lead wadcutter sized to .454" diameter.

Alloy is my any mix (3500 lbs of lead battery terminal clamps I bought from DRMO 20 odd years back for $150....been castin with it ever since and no problems with handgun or rifle.) Its not a super hard alloy....but not pure lead either. Softer than wheelweights.

The lube is my homemade brown goop. Suitable for rifle and handgun and muzzleloader slugs its Lee Liquid Alox, Beeswax, Olive oil, paraffin wax, RCBS resizing lube and Vasoline....pretty much what I had in the house when I made up a big batch. Its provided wonderful lead free shooting in handguns and rifles and muzzleloaders with slug up to 1900 fps for many years. I still have a large, 2qt or more tub left to go thru. As Linebaugh says, if its hard as a Crayon, use it for coloring. Sticky is right for bullet lube. I'm a believer....sticky it is.

Three bullets, L to R, as cast, sized .454" and lubed.

i.imgur.com_LV7259U.jpg

Loaded as full wadcutters should be....near to the mouth and a light crimp into the top driving band.

i.imgur.com_hhzxldk.jpg

i.imgur.com_x98rUUo.jpg

The cases mike .476" diameter with the bullets seated and crimped. .480" is the max spec. Chamber check and they fall in and out.

i.imgur.com_kl25NGF.jpg

Plenty of room in the long New Model cylinder for very long and heavy bullets. These will have a jump, just like regular wadcutters in a 38 Special. I am expecting similar results to the 38 Special....good to great accuracy and no leading. But with 6 rounds it'll take more than a few trips to the range to work out the details.

i.imgur.com_fg89RVs.jpg

Didn't get all the parts today and no sights to rezero the 1860 Blackhawk but enough to do some assembly on the Undecided Project and see if there is a direction available after getting to the range.

Figured I'd set up the RP SS grip frame. Driving the trigger return spring out of the NXR3-RED Ruger frame was easy, but it was a very snug drive fit into the steel frame. We won't need to worry bout it fallin out.

i.imgur.com_DZhTIid.jpg

I see why RP replaced the Old Model Colt frame for Ruger with a New Model....worst part of the job is compressin that mean mainspring and getting it captured. But here, the trigger guard totally assembled.

i.imgur.com_iU2diQV.jpg

Right side of the RP frame is a very close fit to the Ruger frame.

i.imgur.com_E6P4jA5.jpg

Left side of the RP frame is where all the fitting has to be done, some file work would be needed if this gun is a shooter.

i.imgur.com_wEAo5eQ.jpg

The differences between the Colt grip and the Ruger grip are subtle and mostly up at the top. A forward curve that is smoother and brings the entire grip a bit closer to the trigger. A smaller neck up top and a back strap that is a touch further forward than the Ruger. Overall a slightly more tapered grip and closer to the trigger.

i.imgur.com_CwrtIPc.jpg

i.imgur.com_CWWoB4g.jpg

Well, the backside looks pretty good. The barrel is way too long but.....

i.imgur.com_YNwDQlG.jpg

Fit on the ears is pretty darn good too. Very close around the hammer without dragging.

i.imgur.com_u8NkbHv.jpg

If this winds up being the set up (i.e. is shoots well enough) then the only decision left is barrel length....4 5/8 or 5+ inches.

I was thinkin 4 5/8 with the full size Colt grip too. NC no longer has a barrel length requirement for a hunting handgun either so it could be anything from snub to feets for length. But that length really does have a balanced look to it. The 7.5" barrel makes it look like a Mexican Pimp Cannon!

Back
Top Bottom