• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Terrible customer service from O'Reillys Auto Parts

O'Reilly Auto parts works good for us. I have a commercial account with them that works throughout the US. Most of the counter help does seem helpless.

Just asking. Could she not have bought one. Brought it home and you put it in?
I could have yes, but after they said no to a service that they provide at other times. Hell no, that was the last place I would buy a battey from at that point. Also there were 2 employees in the store and 1 was the assitant manager. Good thing he does not work for me, because as soon as I got in this morning, I would have fired him. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

I could have yes, but after they said no to a service that they provide at other times. Hell no, that was the last place I would buy a battey from at that point. Also there were 2 employees in the store and 1 was the assitant manager. Good thing he does not work for me, because as soon as I got in this morning, I would have fired him. Right is right and wrong is wrong.
Absolutely!

When I first moved to Atlanta or Marietta rather I got a job at Flag Auto Parts on austell road where I eventually made manager. Of course I was a mechanic before that but I knew my parts. After a while working there I could pull a Chevy part off the shelf without even looking at up the number. Back then we didn't have computers we had to go through the books. Two big long racks of books to go through and if the part was an odd one for the year we had to go to the back of the book and look up the part by comparing it to the one they had by the picture. Back then people that worked at parts stores knew their stuff. I mean most of them were excellent mechanics that just worked at parts stores and we got paid pretty good back then for what we did. I built carburetors on the side, I did V8 engine swaps in the mustangs that came with four cylinders and all kinds of stuff on the side. Now that I've told you a little bit of brief history we can get to the meat of the story.

These days guys at parts stores are just computer geeks and 75% of them don't know a spark plug from a set of points. And if you ask one what a set of points are I guarantee you they won't be able to tell you. I don't know how many times I've had to go in and guide the guy behind the counter to the right screen or to the right part. So when built my Trans Am and put nitrous on it, I had to use a spark plug that was a couple of steps colder in heat range. I used NGK plugs and had memorized the number by heart. Now if you know anything about NGK plugs they have two part numbers. One is a part number that's got a bunch of numbers and letters combined and one is a four digit number that's arranged in order. That four digit number stands out like a sore thumb and is actually bigger than the normal number they use. So I went into a parts store one day and just ask for the number by the four digit code. Like I said they are laid out by number in order. The guy behind the counter couldn't even find the number and all you have to do is start at the first box and go down the line and you'll see the number is clear as day. I had to go behind the counter and I pointed the plug out in a matter of seconds.

The boys that are behind those counters, they know how to change a battery and look up a part on a screen but that's about it. I mean what do you expect for minimum wage. Half of the guys behind those counters are just kids that know how to operate a computer. If you're lucky you might get one of the managers that knows a little bit how cars operate. It's a shame the kind of kids they hire to run those computers behind the counter. Granted there are probably a few good mechanics but the chances of you running into one when you need something bad, you'll have better odds hitting the lottery. THAT IS ALL!

Last night my wife had the misfortune of going out to her car after a 13 hour day to a dead battery. Thank God her friend was there to jump her car. She drove straight to O’Reilly’s and left her car running while she went in. She was informed that she was 7 minutes too late for them to put it in her car because they don’t help people with dead batteries after 8 o’clock. The store is open til 9:00, but they have some sort of policy that they don’t install a battery after 8:00. Guess they don’t mind leaving a woman stranded at night. They have lost my business and I will never buy anything from them again.
I bought an AC compressor from O'Reilly's and it crapped out. I took it back to them and they looked it up and said the 365 day warranty was one day expired. The sorry bastards couldn't figure out how to work that out.......I'vea never bought another dimes worth from them AND NEVER WILL........ Napa and Advance gets my business now.

Yea that would have pissed me off. She was smart for leaving her car running. You should have told her to just buy the battery so you could install it when you get home tho since she was in a jam. But I agree that would piss me off.

Back
Top Bottom