• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Starting an FFL and becoming an SOT

Man this place is full of old know it alls that think their age somehow means **** else other than they were lucky to live that long. Age does not automatically come with wisdom, as
Man this place is full of old know it alls that think their age somehow means **** else other than they were lucky to live that long. Age does not automatically come with wisdom, as is often displayed on this site.
I will take” things an offended millennial would say” for $500 Alex. Dude no one has acted or implied that. You are just sulking because everyone didnt jump on your bandwagon. Get outta here with that whiney crap. Instead of pissin and moanin, how about you take the advice and maybe modify your plans. Jesus christ this country is doomed even if they are 2a enthusiast if its full of easily offended people like you. You asked for advice. You got some. You got indignant, Then even more offend when given more advice. Whined about how negative we where when no one was. Everyone was just real with you from past experience or watching other people try the same stuff. Not every great idea will work especially in your location, the current economy. Quit whinin its gross.

Reactions: RHR
I will take” things an offended millennial would say” for $500 Alex. Dude know one has acted or implied that. You are just sulking because everyone didnt jump on your bandwagon. Get outta here with that whiney crap. Instead of pissin and moanin, how about you take the advice and maybe modify your plans. Jesus christ this country is doomed even if they are 2a enthusiast if its full of easily offended people like you. You asked for advice. You got some. You got indignant, Then even more offend when given more advice. Whined about how negative we where when no one was. Everyone was just real with you from past experience or watching other people try the same stuff. Not every great idea will work especially in your location, the current economy. Quit whinin its gross.
You know what you’re right reading back over these in this thread there’s nothing really that should have gotten me that worked up. I’ve had a rough couple of days but that’s no excuse. Sorry guys, thanks for the advice that was given. My mistake.

You know what you’re right reading back over these in this thread there’s nothing really that should have gotten me that worked up. I’ve had a rough couple of days but that’s no excuse. Sorry guys, thanks for the advice that was given. My mistake.
Wow that doesnt happen often. Cheers to you. Now if ya wanna talk about it over a beer sometime gimme a shout.

people here are just trying to give you real world advice on what you asked for. Basically outside of Las Vegas that's not really anywhere like what you mention, but there's probably valid reasons why it's not an option. The amount of land you would need to create something like this is in the 1000+ acres vicinity. Even then, having a couple of local land owners that aren't into your plans and you will spend years in courts and in front of people trying to get them to see your vision. I have a friend that bought 1k+ acres to ride motorcycles and it took him 5-8 years to finally go thru all of the legal systems just to be able to have a place for people to ride dirt bikes in the woods. There's a reason you don't see "normal" shooting ranges in more places and more and more are being closed.

That's not even getting into the latest issues with anything related to SOT/Class 3 stuff that is changing on a daily basis.

We always had a joke about racing... how do you make a million dollars racing? Start with $3-4 million!

One of the challenges that you know you face is that turning your settlement into a business of this type isn't like going out and buying a MacDonalds franchise or running a vape shop. There are risks inherent in this kind of business that can shut you down in the time it takes for a bunch of ATF personnel to walk thru' the front door.

Setting up as you understand, won't be cheap. Demand could be substantial, and, if you can inject some kind of "secret sauce" into your business model, it could be a real moneymaker, but as many have said, there are a number of risks that you'll be subject to that are unlike any other businesses, and while you may be able to mitigate a lot of them via insurance your compliance and operational costs and risks are most likely what will determine your success or failure.

And those risks could simply be greater costs than you or anyone could plan for, up to being shut down for an event over which you had no control, or even a criminal prosecution over a process violation - so the *downside* risks are substantial and may not even be something you can control. And for many, that lack of control and predictability is guiding the kind of advice you're seeing above.

Just to position myself in the debate - I don't know the industry at all well, but I have a lot of experience with federal regulatory law and how federal agenices act.

Humility goes a long way. 👍

One of the challenges that you know you face is that turning your settlement into a business of this type isn't like going out and buying a MacDonalds franchise or running a vape shop. There are risks inherent in this kind of business that can shut you down in the time it takes for a bunch of ATF personnel to walk thru' the front door.

Setting up as you understand, won't be cheap. Demand could be substantial, and, if you can inject some kind of "secret sauce" into your business model, it could be a real moneymaker, but as many have said, there are a number of risks that you'll be subject to that are unlike any other businesses, and while you may be able to mitigate a lot of them via insurance your compliance and operational costs and risks are most likely what will determine your success or failure.

And those risks could simply be greater costs than you or anyone could plan for, up to being shut down for an event over which you had no control, or even a criminal prosecution over a process violation - so the *downside* risks are substantial and may not even be something you can control. And for many, that lack of control and predictability is guiding the kind of advice you're seeing above.

Just to position myself in the debate - I don't know the industry at all well, but I have a lot of experience with federal regulatory law and how federal agenices act.
I’ll ask you guys this then. I have the land (I’m not sure the total number it’s somewhere between 50-100 acres) for collateral for a business loan say I go solo. Plus the roughly (after lawyer fees and such well go low ball estimate) 350-500k coming to me. What would you guys do if you were my age (27) right now?

I can’t go back to a regular job. Standing and walking for more than an hour in the grocery store and the pain starts from where I shattered a vertebrae and had a new one plus metal put in last year. I need something (not some bs “safe” investment) that I can put my money into that will allow me to pull out $50k minimum to live off till I die.

So let’s say I dump everything from the settlement plus a 500k business loan into a business (and I say business because what else is going to give you a steady return in the 50-100k a year range?) what route do I go?

Or should I buy a preexisting business that is already doing well?

I have thought about another option. That is building 4-8 tiny homes and creating a small “village-esque” type place to be available to rent out on Airbnb, vrbo, and other sites including Facebook that cater to that sort of thing…as well as building my own site. I just don’t know what, besides the fact that lake wedowee is fairly close (like 5 miles away there is a small put in for kayaks and the main ramps for boats are probably 10 miles out), I could use to attract people to stay in the homes. Hunting is sparse as there aren’t many deer, at least not when i was hunting the land ten years ago, no hogs, turkey, or anything like that. And unfortunately lake wedowee is drained from Labor Day to Memorial Day, the off season.

I’m lost Guys. This settlement will be here in less than three months. Then my weekly workers comp checks will stop. And I will be left with my lump sum. I can’t go back to being a contractor in the movie industry working 12-16 hour days 5-7 days a week as my body won’t allow it. I wish I had never broken my back…

I’ll ask you guys this then. I have the land (I’m not sure the total number it’s somewhere between 50-100 acres) for collateral for a business loan say I go solo. Plus the roughly (after lawyer fees and such well go low ball estimate) 350-500k coming to me. What would you guys do if you were my age (27) right now?

I can’t go back to a regular job. Standing and walking for more than an hour in the grocery store and the pain starts from where I shattered a vertebrae and had a new one plus metal put in last year. I need something (not some bs “safe” investment) that I can put my money into that will allow me to pull out $50k minimum to live off till I die.

So let’s say I dump everything from the settlement plus a 500k business loan into a business (and I say business because what else is going to give you a steady return in the 50-100k a year range?) what route do I go?

Or should I buy a preexisting business that is already doing well?

I have thought about another option. That is building 4-8 tiny homes and creating a small “village-esque” type place to be available to rent out on Airbnb, vrbo, and other sites including Facebook that cater to that sort of thing…as well as building my own site. I just don’t know what, besides the fact that lake wedowee is fairly close (like 5 miles away there is a small put in for kayaks and the main ramps for boats are probably 10 miles out), I could use to attract people to stay in the homes. Hunting is sparse as there aren’t many deer, at least not when i was hunting the land ten years ago, no hogs, turkey, or anything like that. And unfortunately lake wedowee is drained from Labor Day to Memorial Day, the off season.

I’m lost Guys. This settlement will be here in less than three months. Then my weekly workers comp checks will stop. And I will be left with my lump sum. I can’t go back to being a contractor in the movie industry working 12-16 hour days 5-7 days a week as my body won’t allow it. I wish I had never broken my back…
Liquor stores and laundromats are recession proof.

Back
Top Bottom