• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Starting an FFL and becoming an SOT

RandomUsername69

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
13   0
Reaction score
Hello I am currently researching all the proper steps into becoming an ffl and and sot. Also want to build an outdoor range on the property.

This thread is just to get an idea of potential customers. So how many of you guys would drive to a range that’s in Alabama near the border. Like 45 minutes off I-20 right after you hit the line? If that range had a variety of full auto weapons you could rent out to shoot on the range, plus an area to maybe shoot off an rpg or atf-4 (or other 🧨 options not sure what my rights are on this currently) I would think that with those things available it would draw in a considerable amount of people. Not just from Bama but people that would also want to come from across the GA border.

Idk what do y’all think? Slim Pickens on customers or would i have to beat off excess customers with a stick?

FFL/SOT is actually the easy part.

I have a friend that tried to go down this same road... Hope you have deep pockets and a lot of connections in the area.

Outdoor ranges are a hard sell in a lot of areas. Even old, established ranges find themselves fighting for their lives as development starts surrounding what was previously empty acreage.

Getting approval for a new range will be 'interesting' unless you have connections in the local government. And even then you will be getting some serious bills from your lawyer.

You will probably need a lot more acreage than you may expect, since you will need a buffer zone around the actual range area.

There there's the build-out. Not just range and berms but things like a clubhouse, gates, fencing, storage sheds and shooting stations. Roads will need to be cut in.

You will also need insurance, and that can be a wild-card as well. NRA used to help with that a lot, but I don't think they still have program for that.

Palmettomoon does a lot of work at his range, and could tell you far more than I can about the day to day stuff and what to expect for customers.

My buddy dropped the idea after about $20,000 of spinning his wheels and getting nowhere, but I wish you the best of luck on this if you go ahead. We can never have too many good outdoor ranges.

I think funds that can be contributed ballpark 300-500k that’s before getting approved for a business loan with the land as collateral. There is already a building that while in need of some renovation would do perfect for the sales/rental section how much acreage do you think would be necessary for outdoor? As I’m assuming throwing up a seperate building would cost more. Not to mention I think people prefer outdoor

I think funds that can be contributed ballpark 300-500k that’s before getting approved for a business loan with the land as collateral. There is already a building that while in need of some renovation would do perfect for the sales/rental section how much acreage do you think would be necessary for outdoor? As I’m assuming throwing up a seperate building would cost more. Not to mention I think people prefer outdoor
If you want to build a range capable of the average idiot shooting both fully automatic firearms and explosives I would triple that number.

There’s a reason the guys that do this in N GA make their customers shoot through a drainage pipe into a trash plie.

If you want to build a range capable of the average idiot shooting both fully automatic firearms and explosives I would triple that number.

There’s a reason the guys that do this in N GA make their customers shoot through a drainage pipe into a trash plie.
I can get the drainage pipe no problem. If it’s possible I want to make it happen. That’s also why I’m posting. I want this advice/knowledge on how to set this up if people who have already done are willing to provide that info.

Just thinking out loud...

Wedowee is 45 minutes from Anniston, CMP South store.

For a day trip buy a Garand at CMP then travel 45 more minutes to your range. Then back home afterwards.

Not saying I would be a customer but it would be a great alternative to the 600 yard CMP facility in Talladega.

Just thinking out loud...

Wedowee is 45 minutes from Anniston, CMP South store.

For a day trip buy a Garand at CMP then travel 45 more minutes to your range. Then back home afterwards.

Not saying I would be a customer but it would be a great alternative to the 600 yard CMP facility in Talladega.
Well let’s hope to many more with your line of thinking. I would discuss it with my partner but would probably have something where first time shoppers from ODT get range time at a discount or some other first sale.

Are you planning on using post samples for your rental guns? Because it seems like a lot of financial layout to start a business that is skirting the very edge of legality in regards to legit uses of post samples. Post samples are allowed only for the purpose of sales to law enforcement according to the NFA handbook. I realize there are many people doing this around the country but it also seems from reports I have read that the ATF has been scrutinizing people over post samples. Currently the majority of those scrutinized dealt with the validity of their law letters.

Are you planning on using post samples for your rental guns? Because it seems like a lot of financial layout to start a business that is skirting the very edge of legality in regards to legit uses of post samples. Post samples are allowed only for the purpose of sales to law enforcement according to the NFA handbook. I realize there are many people doing this around the country but it also seems from reports I have read that the ATF has been scrutinizing people over post samples. Currently the majority of those scrutinized dealt with the validity of their law letters.
I don’t plan on doing anything specific before asking questions and figuring just what exactly I can do in the eyes of the law.

Does that apply if you got it from an ffl that was shutting down and originally got it using a law letter?

Back
Top Bottom