• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Starting an FFL and becoming an SOT

Acting indignant when asking for advice is always welcome around here. There are a lot of us in the SOT game and it isnt a walk in the park. The atf has no problem snatching your property of lively hood. Alot of stuff has changed in the last couple years.
Look I’m just asking for advice on the aforementioned questions or really anything else y’all might can offer. If ever single ffl/sot owner on this site said they would go back and not do it/wouldn’t recommend doing it now I’d take that into heavy consideration. But that wasn’t the case here. It was just one sorry dod wishing he had that much money and thinking he knows what better to do with it.

I will not, repeat not, just stick all the money in the most boring index account drawing less than a measly 5% a year and hope I don’t run out before I die. I’ve mentioned before I cannot go back to working 60-84 physical labor hours a week going from 6am-6pm+, 5-7 days a week. I can’t handle it physically after my accident. And im getting a fairly good sized chunk of change. Im gonna risk that chunk of change and hopefully it turns out that I get a lot more than 5% return every year on my investment. If it doesn’t, I guarantee ill have fun in the process, get to shoot/experiment with some totally awesome equipment and guns. And won’t have any regrets. I can always go back to the work force sitting at my desk doing some BS stay at home customer service rep job and be miserable. This I think is worth the risk in that I’ll actually enjoy my work.

And i truly believe the niche market is there. Hell I was willing to drive an hour and half out the way when I was visiting south Carolina to drive a tank and shoot a .50 cal machine gun (or at least there was a business that promised something like that) and I would have gone had I had another day in my vacation. Needless to say I will be going eventually.

I’m sure there are thousands like me that if they heard about a cool range in Wedowee alabama that lets you shoot explosives into cars, they’d jump right at the chance to come visit.

He

Well i can give you this as well. Before you start planning anything there are a couple things to think about. Gonna have to get your destructive devise tax which is 5000 per year. Are you gonna buy them or make them cause at4 are expensive as **** and single use. Rpg’s are reuseable but good luck buyin rockets. Plus you will have to find someone who will sell at4’s to a civilian for rental purposes. Good luck. But first call around and find insurance company that will insure you for letting untrained people that dont belong to the government fire rockets. Also you need enough land for an errant rpg or at4 rocket not to hit any neighboring properties or you will get the **** sued out of you before you can call ken nugent.

Nowadays alot of people have machine guns. So you better have some special ****. I.e rare expensive belt feds. Nobody cares about ar15’s or ak’s anymore. Most rednecks anywhere near wedowee have full autos that arent legal. Hear them all the time around me. Post sample beltf feds are getting expensive as **** and parts are even harder to find due to parts hoarding. You gonna watch and baby sit every person that has an mg on your range? I for one wouldnt pay to shoot through a tube. ANd many other people arent gonna do that. There are insurance companies that will give you insurance that based on sales. The more people shooting the higher your premiums will go the next year. There are alot of things to think about. And the biggest thing of all right now is the economy. The firearms market sucks right now for sales. Me and alot of other guys are getting phone calls seeing if we want to by their over priced garbage that i can buy retail cheaper. . Lol its all over odt. So be before starting a firearms busniees just look at the people listing several firearms everyday multiple times a day on here. Spending your money when the economy is gonna take it on the chin in the next 3-4 months possibly less is very ill advised. Good luck

Well i can give you this as well. Before you start planning anything there are a couple things to think about. Gonna have to get your destructive devise tax which is 5000 per year. Are you gonna buy them or make them cause at4 are expensive as **** and single use. Rpg’s are reuseable but good luck buyin rockets. Plus you will have to find someone who will sell at4’s to a civilian for rental purposes. Good luck. But first call around and find insurance company that will insure you for letting untrained people that dont belong to the government fire rockets. Also you need enough land for an errant rpg or at4 rocket not to hit any neighboring properties or you will get the **** sued out of you before you can call ken nugent.

Nowadays alot of people have machine guns. So you better have some special ****. I.e rare expensive belt feds. Nobody cares about ar15’s or ak’s anymore. Most rednecks anywhere near wedowee have full autos that arent legal. Here them all the time around me. Post sample beltf feds are getting expensive as **** and parts are even harder to find due to parts hoarding. You gonna watch and baby sit every person that has an mg on your range? I for one wouldnt pay to shoot through a tube. ANd many other people arent gonna do that. There are insurance companies that will give you insurance that based on sales. The more people shooting the higher your premiums will go the next year. There are alot of things to think about. And the biggest thing of all right now is the economy. The firearms market sucks right now for sales. Me and alot of other guys are getting phone calls seeing if we want to by their over priced garbage that i can buy retail cheaper. . Lol its all over odt. So be before starting a firearms busniees just look at the people listing several firearms everyday multiple times a day on here. Spending your money when the economy is gonna take it on the chin in the next 3-4 months possibly less is very ill advised. Good luck
Listen here you little ****…he came here for butterflies and rainbows, not logic. Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. 😂

Ill bite on this. I presented this idea lightly to my local range that is an SOT and got shot down, but I think it has hella merrit. The wait times on suppressors are horrible but will come down when they get the bugs worked out of the system. When that happens the primary market will be on the up up for them and it will also generate some type of secondary market where they will have more value than a expensive paperweight. Anyone who has ever bought a suppressor and had it end up not being what they wanted can attest that this is a hell of an idea.

Suppressor rentals at a range. Try before you buy and wait. Setup a rental at a reasonable rate, with a host similar to the intended host, with range ammo, where the first one would run about $50 all in to try out, 2nd and 3rd discounted accordingly. Get setup with SS with a kiosk to do all the paperwork, prints, photos, etc. Sell host parts and accessories.

As far as I know, youd have the only one and could potentially make a killing. As wait times decrease, damand will increase.

To the OP...

One other thing you have to factor in as a MG rental range is that it's really easy to 'lose' your very expensive property at the drop of a hat.

I know for a fact that an indoor range I go to has had at least one MG taken as evidence when some out of state gangbangers posted on their social media videos of them shooting it.

I believe it was the NYC gang unit that asked ATF to grab the gun and security footage as evidence. That was years ago and they still haven't seen it back last I heard.

Ill bite on this. I presented this idea lightly to my local range that is an SOT and got shot down, but I think it has hella merrit. The wait times on suppressors are horrible but will come down when they get the bugs worked out of the system. When that happens the primary market will be on the up up for them and it will also generate some type of secondary market where they will have more value than a expensive paperweight. Anyone who has ever bought a suppressor and had it end up not being what they wanted can attest that this is a hell of an idea.

Suppressor rentals at a range. Try before you buy and wait. Setup a rental at a reasonable rate, with a host similar to the intended host, with range ammo, where the first one would run about $50 all in to try out, 2nd and 3rd discounted accordingly. Get setup with SS with a kiosk to do all the paperwork, prints, photos, etc. Sell host parts and accessories.

As far as I know, youd have the only one and could potentially make a killing. As wait times decrease, damand will increase.
Thanks for the actual input man. I’m fishing for ideas. It may in fact be a pipe dream. I may never end up opening it at all with or without rpgs and explosives. It’s a cool idea and I didn’t know where else to turn for advice except my community of brothers on here. Didn’t expect to get the amount of negativity And backlash this post would cause not just on this thread but now seems like I can’t make a thread period without this being brought up. I figured I’d get better responses here than somewhere such as the ****thole that is reddit. Who knew everyone would be so quick to want someone to fail…

Thanks for the actual input man. I’m fishing for ideas. It may in fact be a pipe dream. I may never end up opening it at all with or without rpgs and explosives. It’s a cool idea and I didn’t know where else to turn for advice except my community of brothers on here. Didn’t expect to get the amount of negativity And backlash this post would cause not just on this thread but now seems like I can’t make a thread period without this being brought up. I figured I’d get better responses here than somewhere such as the ****thole that is reddit. Who knew everyone would be so quick to want someone to fail…
Oh my god quit being a drama llama, not one person in here said they wanted you to fail. If spittin truth, real input, facts and experience hurts your feelings with all this so called negativity you wouldnt have made it anyway. Im guessing your were born in the 90’s??? You got indignant with a gentleman for giving you sound financial advice especially with the way the economy is right now. By all means go spend your money; all of it and make your dream come true. But you are talking to alot of people with experience in this arena and its not all roses and sunshine. So quit bashing people on here and go cry to the whiney bitches on reddit or your therapist.

Oh my god quit being a drama llama, not one person in here said they wanted you to fail. If spittin truth, real input, facts and experience hurts your feelings with all this so called negativity you wouldnt have made it anyway. Im guessing your were born in the 90’s??? You got indignant with a gentleman for giving you sound financial advice especially with the way the economy is right now. By all means go spend your money; all of it and make your dream come true. But you are talking to alot of people with experience in this arena and its not all roses and sunshine. So quit bashing people on here and go cry to the whiney bitches on reddit or your therapist.
Man this place is full of old know it alls that think their age somehow means **** else other than they were lucky to live that long. Age does not automatically come with wisdom, as is often displayed on this site.

Man this place is full of old know it alls that think their age somehow means **** else other than they were lucky to live that long. Age does not automatically come with wisdom, as is often displayed on this site.
Did you come here for actual advice or were you just expecting everyone to nod their head and agree with you? If it’s the latter then just close the thread. If you can’t accept criticism, don’t ask for advice. It’s that simple. If you take criticism as negativity then I can guarantee you’re not ready. But chase your dream. You already had it in your head so go forth and do it regardless of what was said here.

Back
Top Bottom