• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sick starving cat, need advice

Other than feeding him and giving him worm/flea treatment there isn't much else that you can do. It may take a while for him to put some meat on his bones but if he is eating and drinking on a regular basis that's a very good sign. If he is comfortable enough around you to let you pick him up without a struggle you can also give him a warm bath with a little bit of Dawn dish detergent which would help his fur and skin. Cats are pretty resilient creatures and as long as he has a steady supply of food and a warm place to sleep there's a good chance that he will pull through.

Cats also tend to bond very strongly with one person in particular, especially while they are still young and growing. There's a good chance that he will wind up becoming attached to you and you will have a little buddy for many years to come

Get a can of tuna in water ( not oil), keep plenty of water available. Try temptation treats also. Figure out where he’s coming from place food and water there hidden but so he can find it. Most likely he has a URI, hence the guck in the eyes and not eating because he can’t smell.

can you get near him or touch him?

It may also have giardia especially if the stools are loose. Talk to a vet and set a max amount you are willing to spend. We have one with a similar history and she never fatten up. Going on 3 now.

Can I do that with it being as emaciated as it is ?
yes, I drink a spoon a week myself, my 4 inside cats get a spoon in a gallon water dispenser, one of them for the past 21 years now. My Vet suggested the antibiotic dose in Cepro once for a wounded cat.

Get a can of tuna in water ( not oil), keep plenty of water available. Try temptation treats also. Figure out where he’s coming from place food and water there hidden but so he can find it. Most likely he has a URI, hence the guck in the eyes and not eating because he can’t smell.

can you get near him or touch him?
It's very friendly and needy, it eats but not much, drinks alot of water and is sneezing again, every time it sneezes it blows mint green mucus. I carry it outside so he'll lay in the sun but it slowly wobbles back into the garage and lays down in front of the heater. It's skin and bone, no muscle anywhere

Other than feeding him and giving him worm/flea treatment there isn't much else that you can do. It may take a while for him to put some meat on his bones but if he is eating and drinking on a regular basis that's a very good sign. If he is comfortable enough around you to let you pick him up without a struggle you can also give him a warm bath with a little bit of Dawn dish detergent which would help his fur and skin. Cats are pretty resilient creatures and as long as he has a steady supply of food and a warm place to sleep there's a good chance that he will pull through.

Cats also tend to bond very strongly with one person in particular, especially while they are still young and growing. There's a good chance that he will wind up becoming attached to you and you will have a little buddy for many years to come

We had a hungry kitten show up 10 years ago, not starving like this one, we still have him. He's half feral, he will attack people(mostly me) if you pet him the wrong way and once he tackled my 5lb female Yorkie which came real close to crossing a line with me but learned not to do that anymore though I'd never trust him alone with my small dogs
Our other cat is a 2 yr old male my daughter "rescued" but couldn't keep when she transferred out of state. He's as sweet as cats come but he started killing birds and chipmonks last summer and bringing them to the door where our old male finds and eats them and leaves the entrials, feet, tail at the front door.. sometimes I hate my old male cat

So yeah, there's 99% it'll be my 3rd cat

I have almost exactly the same cat! I put out a shelter, feed him three times a day and add a little fish oil to his food, Temptations and lots of water. He finally let's me.pet him a little but he has scratched me a few times. I'll see if I can get some antibiotics. Thanks for the thread

Back
Top Bottom