• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sellers Beware

§ 16-11-113. Offense of transferring firearm to individual other than actual buyer

Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a felony. This Code section shall not apply to a federal law enforcement officer or a peace officer, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, in the performance of his or her official duties or other person under such officer's direct supervision.

Boom.

Folks, do what you want but I know for a fact that lawyers ARE expensive. Even if you get off the hook, I wouldn't want to pay your legal bills...

I dont blame you really. But being a new member here, I would certainly be upset if some one didnt want to trade with me based soley on the fact that I'm new. IF I wouldnt want to meet with you or seemed really shady i could understand.

But, its your decision I just hope not everyone will not include me based just on being new.

§ 16-11-113. Offense of transferring firearm to individual other than actual buyer

Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a felony. This Code section shall not apply to a federal law enforcement officer or a peace officer, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, in the performance of his or her official duties or other person under such officer's direct supervision.

you sure about that?

ask more questions and dont jump to conclusions. ask that guy if thats the real story or not. i didnt see one person ask "hey what actually happened" all i saw was a bunch of people bad mouthing some one they have never met. thats just ridiculous
ACTUALLY - you first stated you were buying it for a friend. when i told you i wasnt comfortable with it, you then tried to sway me with your storyline of your friends' fathers' death. then you went on about how you had already bought another one on gunbroker but didnt want to wait for it to come in.

say whatever you want. my gun - my rules. your story was suspect from the get go. you had zero posts, zero feedback, and had just signed up. I sent you a very respectful email explaining my position and informing you of my decision. You responded with something totally inappropriate. As you can see, whether you are right or wrong, the majority of members here would have handled it in a similar manner. as a ffl holder myself, i will not take the risk. SORRY!

My advice to you - "Grow the ***k up!"

ACTUALLY - you first stated you were buying it for a friend. when i told you i wasnt comfortable with it, you then tried to sway me with your storyline of your friends' fathers' death. then you went on about how you had already bought another one on gunbroker but didnt want to wait for it to come in.

say whatever you want. my gun - my rules. your story was suspect from the get go. you had zero posts, zero feedback, and had just signed up. I sent you a very respectful email explaining my position and informing you of my decision. You responded with something totally inappropriate. As you can see, whether you are right or wrong, the majority of members here would have handled it in a similar manner. as a ffl holder myself, i will not take the risk. SORRY!

My advice to you - "Grow the ***k up!"

I would have not sold the gun at that point either. His story may all be true, and my sympathy for his loss, but you aren't selling a refrigerator, you are selling a pistol. I see a red flag I say no thanks. Buying for a friend, a friend who died's son, we all chipped in to buy it, we also bought one on gun broker. New to the forum so zero references or a track record. More than one red flag here.

With all due respect Maverrick88 - the seller doesn't appear to be acting unreasonably. And by posting it up here without mentioning your name I would guess it wasn't personal.

you sure about that?

Maybe this is it:

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

so i post a handgun for sale. i get an offer to buy immediately. problem is - this guy literally just joined here. no posts, no feedback, no nothing. anyways - im talking to him last night and he tells me he is buying it "for a friend".

Needless to say, i sent him a pm telling him im uncomfortable with the sale and am withdrawing my offer to sale to him.

Now all of a sudden im the bad guy, i get a hated response through pm going on about how i should learn the laws and how he will never do business with me again.

What a shame!

Point of the matter - Seller beware! with all the crap going on you better watch your own rear end. Lots and lots of posts about straw buyers infiltrating gun forums like ours trying to buy. especially right now.

i was at the local pawn shop about a year ago. there was a lady in there with a rock river arms ar15 with a trijicon on top of it. she was trying to get $250 for it. the guy behind the counter would not budge from his $150 offer. she came outside and i was sitting in my truck next to the door. i already had $250 counted out and in my hand when she stepped out. i made contact with her, told her i over heard her in the shop, and told her i woudl give her $250 for the rifle. she said "ok, thank you! this rifle belongs to my son and he really needs the money bad". i immediately put my money back in my pocket and said "if its not your weapon, then i cannot purchase it from you".

i was immediately the bad guy in the situation.

Back
Top Bottom