• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sellers Beware

i was at the local pawn shop about a year ago. there was a lady in there with a rock river arms ar15 with a trijicon on top of it. she was trying to get $250 for it. the guy behind the counter would not budge from his $150 offer. she came outside and i was sitting in my truck next to the door. i already had $250 counted out and in my hand when she stepped out. i made contact with her, told her i over heard her in the shop, and told her i woudl give her $250 for the rifle. she said "ok, thank you! this rifle belongs to my son and he really needs the money bad". i immediately put my money back in my pocket and said "if its not your weapon, then i cannot purchase it from you".

i was immediately the bad guy in the situation.
I would have done this deal all day long. To the OP if you don't feel comfortable with a seller by all means back out. Personally, just saying he was buying it for a friend would not deter me from selling. I would be selling it to him, looking at his GWL, DL, license plate, etc. If he chooses to give or sell to a friend, felon, who or what ever, it's on him. If I am ever contacted by ATF or other law enforcement I can truthfully say I sold to the original buyer. Straw purchase is only about FFLs. There is no comparable Ga. statue. If the original buyer is good to go as far as state residency and says he is not a felon then if someone else ends up with the firearm that is on him.

Last edited:
Speaking of being new, no posts, just signing up, and being out of state (TN). What are the proper methods for a private sale across state lines. If I read the ATF website correct:
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Is this a sale to the dealer and then a sale to me, or is it just background check? Are there 4473 forms filled out or what?

Thanks for any info

Speaking of being new, no posts, just signing up, and being out of state (TN). What are the proper methods for a private sale across state lines. If I read the ATF website correct:
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Is this a sale to the dealer and then a sale to me, or is it just background check? Are there 4473 forms filled out or what?

Thanks for any info
Firearm is delivered to FFL in your state. you go there, fill out 4473, get background check, pay FFL whatever fee you agree to, if BGC is approved he gives you firearm

I have backed out of a few offers, My rule is you must have 10 posts and 2 good feedback or I will not deal with you

I understand the concern, and in the end you might not care, but I joined because a friend told me about this great site, and purchased an AR with a whopping 2-3 posts I believe. All I am saying is feel out the individual first, just because we are new does not mean we are all "bad".

Due to the fact that I don't have a FFL, I'm not a dealer. Just a guy selling some of his personal property.
The only things that I'm required by law are; Do not sell to a known felon or knowingly sell to someone from out of state.

I'm not required to ask any questions or do background checks on potential buyers.

I think that most of you side line lawyers need to do your trans actions at a licensed gun shop and those with FFL's need to get you some 4473 forms.

I ain't showing ****, not a DL, GWL, and for damn sure not doing a BOS.

Ya'll sit around pissing and moaning about the govt. and all their Bull**** regulations, yet you want to make up your own rules as you go along.

I can hear ya'll now. The stupid govt. won't let me sell my gun to another individual, I have to go through a FFL. WAAAAA WAAAAA

How many of you morons have bought weapons and gave them to your sons, daughters, wives, or girlfriends?

Viva La Revolution
Snake Dr.

Back
Top Bottom