• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savings bonds ?

No to detract from bonds, but I mentioned MO in the silver thread and should have also mentioned PM as when they were talking about a merger they both dropped to about 40 and 71, now a month later at 45 and 81.8 with better reviews and projections with yields of 7.75 and 5.8% on today prices which is hard to pass up. Thinking of buying more just for the yield although PM is projected to go up to 91 in next 12 months. Analyst think vaping issues spells good news for cigarettes!

ohhh ya, just so you know

the treasury department can change the rate of your series i savings bond. i was under the impression that once you were locked in at an earning rate that it would keep that rate (in my case i had purchased a few when they were paying out 2.8%). yup, my mistake lol; looks like all my series i saving bonds purchase arenow earning only 1.9% across the board

guess that means if the treasury decides to pay out 1% next quarter, all my bonds will be earning 1%

sure their face value will be doubled in 20 years or some garbage......but ya, i think any investment scheme from the government these days is a bust. you are better off putting money into gold/silver, collectibles, stocks, and private investments.

If the money is 100% in bonds, all those eggs are in one basket. If it were part of a larger portfolio, no problem. But if it’s the whole portfolio, you’re much better off in an IRA with some conservative, ultra-low cost index funds, which can give you exposure to bonds and stocks. If you want to be 100% bonds in the IRA, you can do that- or 90/10 or 80/20, etc. The contributions may also be tax deductible for you. In the long run, you can earn 3-5% easily without much risk over the long haul, though you will have ups and downs year to year.

There is nothing solid to put your money into right now imo. I'd just let it ride. If you've got 15-30 years before you retire land is a good investment if you find a good deal in the right area. Aside from that (if the time works for you) just let it ride. You are the proud owner of some US debt. Hopefully gov can make good on the iou when you want to cash them.

Back
Top Bottom