• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you have a traditional "savings" account?

There's your next economic crash, it won't be housing. Just wait until those start defaulting. About 6 months ago my attorney said he and a number of his colleagues are shifting their practices to focus primarily on bankruptcy as thats been starting to trend higher.
Credit card companies are getting antsy. Always pay mine off in full every month. Never payed interest. USPS ****ed me, made my payment late. Had this one card probably 20 years, never a late pay before, they hit me with a late fee of $35.00 and jumped me to a 29.9% interest rate. I’ll just give it a month without use to reset so I don’t accrue interest, then I’ll put every nickel and dime purchase I make on it.

I'm getting 4.8 on a cash account with Wealthfront. Anyone want to open with them we can both get a small rate hike on that as a referral.

Credit card companies are getting antsy. Always pay mine off in full every month. Never payed interest. USPS ****ed me, made my payment late. Had this one card probably 20 years, never a late pay before, they hit me with a late fee of $35.00 and jumped me to a 29.9% interest rate. I’ll just give it a month without use to reset so I don’t accrue interest, then I’ll put every nickel and dime purchase I make on it.
That happened to me once. I called them up and they researched my account and gave me a pass…waived the late fee and dropped my interest rate back down to 5.9% (at the time). Of course a year later, they fired me because I’m what the industry calls a “deadbeat” (I pay off my balance every month and don’t accrue interest)

You know it’s a scam when you’re considered a “deadbeat” for paying promptly. 🙄

That happened to me once. I called them up and they researched my account and gave me a pass…waived the late fee and dropped my interest rate back down to 5.9% (at the time). Of course a year later, they fired me because I’m what the industry calls a “deadbeat” (I pay off my balance every month and don’t accrue interest)

You know it’s a scam when you’re considered a “deadbeat” for paying promptly. 🙄
How do they go about firing you ? I've had the same cards for 20 + years and never carried a balance.

How do they go about firing you ? I've had the same cards for 20 + years and never carried a balance.
It was Chase. They simply sent a letter that said they’re closing my account on such and such date. I switched to an NRA rewards visa backed by Bank of Omaha but after a few years, they did the same thing except they were nice enough to transfer my account to PenFed Credit Union.

My sister clued me in to the American Express 'high-yield' savings account they offer after she parked some of the proceeds there from selling her house.

They have been ratcheting the interest paid over the last year on a regular basis. I think they are at 4.5% right now, and the money is available immediately and without any of the penalties you would have with a CD.

I'm a big fan of T-Bills through treasurydirect.gov.

Just sold the house and put the proceeds in a 4-week T-Bill at 5.something percent. Banks can't guarantee anything over 250k that FDIC covers so it's earning interest and it's safe. Well, as safe as the US government...

MOVE IT! Being an ultra conservative finance guy, I know I have cost myself money over the years, but this is particularly annoying. About a year ago I moved and had various things going on with cash where I just parked a large amount in two different savings accounts at two different banks. As I'm sure we all remember, they were paying a whopping 0.01% interest. The problem is they STILL are paying that. I just moved money at both Banks into relatively short-term (11 month and 15 months) CDs, both getting 5.0 & 5.01%.
Most of you probably aren't as stupid as me though...
Yes. I have a savings account with an online bank. Currently over 4%. Moved some into CDs as well. I keep little in checking or brick-and-mortar bank savings because the rates are terrible.

Pinnacle Bank in Smyrna had 7 month CDs over 5% a few weeks back.

MOVE IT! Being an ultra conservative finance guy, I know I have cost myself money over the years, but this is particularly annoying. About a year ago I moved and had various things going on with cash where I just parked a large amount in two different savings accounts at two different banks. As I'm sure we all remember, they were paying a whopping 0.01% interest. The problem is they STILL are paying that. I just moved money at both Banks into relatively short-term (11 month and 15 months) CDs, both getting 5.0 & 5.01%.
Most of you probably aren't as stupid as me though...
Ahhhh that exactly why some banks are folding.....it may have already been said...I didn't care to read past the original post

Back
Top Bottom