• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you have a traditional "savings" account?

Not really. Other than keeping just enough in 2-3 bank accounts to cover bills and misc small expenses, I keep most of my cash reserves in several online high yield savings/ MM accounts. I may alternate between them from time to time but over the last 5+ years it's mostly been CIT, where i'm currently getting around 5%. Some banks pay more, but I think CIT has a good balance of credit strength, ease of use, speed of money transactions and consistency when it comes to maintaining higher yields.

Beginning last year, I started transitioning out of this HY savings account into treasuries via treasury direct. With 4-26wk T-Bills yielding close to 5.5% (and state income tax-exempt), setting up a rolling, laddered portfolio of T-bills for your liquid cash makes sense to me.

mail

what is the best choice for a local CD? I don't want some internet California bank in a Wal-Mart. Would like to get 5 percent or higher.

I don't use either of them but Google says they're local to you and have decent yields on CDs.

what is the best choice for a local CD? I don't want some internet California bank in a Wal-Mart. Would like to get 5 percent or higher.

Can't believe I'm shilling for our government...

Check out www.treasurydirect.gov

I think all the t-bills are paying over 5%. You can get them from 4 weeks maturity to 52.

And you don't have to fret over bank failures...

Back
Top Bottom