• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger quality?

Racing engines use forged steel crankshafts. OEM crankshafts are often investment castings. The simple truth is 2000 HP engines would not use investment casting in no way way, shape or form. Forgings are stronger no matter how you slice it. Same goes for forged race wheels and so on. Investment casting is a superior method over sand mold casting by far. However, it will never equal the strength of forged steel. We can argue the subject all year but the simple truth is forging yields a stronger product. If Nascar engine crankshafts were made of investment castings they wouldn't make it two laps. They would snap like a twig. They will take high RPM's for very short spurts but won't hold up to sustained high RPM over a long period of time.

Ruger has never aimed for the high quality market. They make a plethora of guns that tend to the budget-minded shooter. They have a few models that tend to perform well and are a staple to many shooters of varying expectation, but for the most part, I wouldn't trust my life to a ruger or expect anything exceptional in any facet.

I have six Springfields and never had a misfire, jam or any other malfunction. I can't say that about S&W, Kimber, Colt, Rock Island and a few others. I do all my own work on my 1911 and never had to break one down other than to clean it. Springfeld that is.

Back
Top Bottom