• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger quality?

I have no problem at all with Rugers casting. Their cast revolvers will stand up to loads that would destroy a forged Smith or Colt.

Forging and casting can produce equally strong (or weak) components. Neither one is better than the other these days. We tend to think of cast parts as being weaker but that hasn't been true for decades at least.

Still, personal preference. But I guarantee that you will be just as likely to break a Taurus or a Springfield on rock than you will a Ruger. It's not like forged metals don't bend, break or crack.

So, maybe it's just my usual luck, but it recently occurred to me....

I have a number of Rugers but only three that were manufactured this century. A Red Label, a Single Six, and a Precision Rimfire.
The first time I took the Red Label out, it was for a round of sporting clays. I was shooting light target loads. The barrel got surprisingly hot and the ventilated rib now has a slight 'warp' in it. Doesn't appear to affect anything but certainly not the quality I expected from a $1,200 shotgun.
The Single Six shoots well left of point of aim despite having the site adjust to it's limit. Hard to tell but it appears the front sight may be incorrectly mounted but I think it's just an issue with the barrel.
The Ruger Precision has abysmal accuracy for ANY rifle much less a 'precision' rifle. I think every .22 I have or ever had is more accurate.

I don't recall a single issue, of any type, with any of the Rugers I own made prior. That includes rifles and revolvers.
The Single Six and the Precision are on their way back to Ruger. I'm not even going to bother with the Red Label.

So, is it just my usual "luck" or have others seen similar QC issues?
I had 3 New Vaqueros I had to send back to the factory because the cylinder locked up and would no longer turn. Ruger ain't what it use to be.

I think you can say that about revolvers in general. Pretty much all those production lines have to be 50+ years old at this point, and I doubt the volume makes it worth updating them with the latest and greatest.

I think every gun I've sent to back to Ruger or Smith has been a revolver. Taurus is 50/50 between revolvers and semi.

Rugers frames are investment casting. Their cylinders are milled from solid stock as are S&W and others. Needless to say at the at the rate of production these days quality control is probably a little lax.
Forging is stronger than casting and that is fact. When a piece is drop forged it realigns the molecular structure in a linear form. Like the grain in wood. It's easier to break a board with the grain than it is against the grain. Investment casting is stronger the the other forms of cast but no where near the strength of forging.

All of my Rugers, are older pre 2000. They all work well. I love Mark II's and have a few, all are more accurate than I am. I don't think it's Ruger per se, but more the lack of craftsmanship among most firearm makers. Most everything I have kept, is pre 1990

Rugers frames are investment casting. Their cylinders are milled from solid stock as are S&W and others. Needless to say at the at the rate of production these days quality control is probably a little lax.
Forging is stronger than casting and that is fact. When a piece is drop forged it realigns the molecular structure in a linear form. Like the grain in wood. It's easier to break a board with the grain than it is against the grain. Investment casting is stronger the the other forms of cast but no where near the strength of forging.

Whereas with casting there is no 'grain' and you have the same strength in all directions, while forgings are weakest 'along the grain'.

Good page here on the main differences.

https://www.metaltek.com/blog/metal-casting-vs-metal-forging-5-things-to-consider/

One thing they mention as well is that forgings use whatever steel is available commercially, while casting can create alloys that are almost infinitely customizable to optimize strength, hardness, durability, etc.

In the end, cheap steel forged into something is still worse than better steel investment cast, and I doubt Taurus is using top of the line steel in their guns. I'm sure Springfield uses decent steel but I doubt the final product is any stronger or weaker than Rugers cast frame.

Back
Top Bottom