• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Residential water heater needs replaced

Truthfully the draining etc that people do is unnecessary, other than make them feel like they are prolonging its life cycle. You should feel fortunate you have 20+ on yours. The industry average lifespan of a residential heater is hovering around 7-8 year average.
I know but I suspect that's on new ones. I'm convinced the old ones were made more durably. Plus mine is inside the house (finished basement) and not in an attic or garage so I have to believe that has helped too. But yeah, I know I'm on borrowed time. I just can't make myself change it proactively.

I know but I suspect that's on new ones. I'm convinced the old ones were made more durably. Plus mine is inside the house (finished basement) and not in an attic or garage so I have to believe that has helped too. But yeah, I know I'm on borrowed time. I just can't make myself change it proactively.
True quality was different when your heater was made. As expected with all the energy requirements, epa requirements etc on newer units, the quality has and quality control has suffered. Add in that parts and replacement is the profit for the manufacturers. The original sale is not.

Forgot to add : If your current tank is not leaking or dripping and working properly, then there is no reason to change it or even consider changing. Forgot to add I am a Class II Unrestricted Master Plumber in Georgia and several surrounding states.

Think it was PDI in Lawrenceville that I saw at the counter a Ruud heater a plumber took out of a ladies home. When removed it was still working properly, but she just felt it was time for a new unit. The Ruud in question was from like 1951ish. PDI now has it on display.

I replace water heaters frequently. They just went up by about 180-200$ due to Obammys epa mandates. Unless its real tight changing from a 40 -50 gal is usually no problem. Tankless water heaters aren't nearly the end all be all people think they are. when the power goes out now you still have hot water. NOT with a tankless, a renai is a gas heater but has to have a 110 outlet to run its fan and other gizmos. I usually see regular water heaters fail at around 12-16 years. A tankless the heat exchanger usually fails at 9-12 years. I will be glad to change out your water heater and even give you an odt discount. I am a licensed master plumber. Pm me if you are interested.

Water heater warranties are a scam. The standard water heater comes with a 6 year tank warranty, the supply house i use most offers a 9 and 12 year warranty as well. They take an extra 250-350$ of your money, slap a different sticker on the same 6yr heater and bet its going to last that long anyway.

Water heater warranties are a scam. The standard water heater comes with a 6 year tank warranty, the supply house i use most offers a 9 and 12 year warranty as well. They take an extra 250-350$ of your money, slap a different sticker on the same 6yr heater and bet its going to last that long anyway.

What he said, however it is the manufacturer that stickers them differently not the supply house.

I had mine replaced last year with a 50 gal electric (including a new expansion tank) and it cost me $675.00. I used Greenlee Plumbing. They are in Braselton and not sure if they cover your area. They have a website and phone is 678-386-7513.

So basically you are paying $250-$350 for an extended warranty (that I assume doesn't cover labor) on something that costs about $400-$500? Nice. And I thought Best Buy was crazy. ;)

Back
Top Bottom