• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Residential water heater needs replaced

itll be a small tank about the size of a basketball attached to the water line. the water in the heater has no place to go as it expands when it heats up. This places extra strain on the pipes and especially the valves in your sinks and tubs etc.. it became code some years back to require these on all new installations and replacements.

same with a pressure reducing valve on your incoming supply line.

I assume you mean your TANK (not a fitting or pipe) is what is leaking? If so, get it replaced quickly unless you don't mind have that entire tank dump (and keep running) wherever it is. When the tank goes, it often GOES! Yeah, around $900 seems to be the going (ridiculous) rate for a standard heater and install. I did one at my cabin myself but it was/is electric.
I guess I've been really lucky. I keep hearing about tanks going out relatively quickly but we are going on 20 years with the same one.... I probably shouldn't have just typed that... :rolleyes:

You can buy a new water heater for 350-400. Who knows whether to get 6 yr or 9 yr or 12 yr.

Get some male threaded nipples. 2 sharkbite flex hoses. Maybe a new flexible gas line unless you hard pipe it. Spray some soapy water on the gas connections to check for leaks. Tee into the water line and mount the expansion tank. Yes, it's a pain. Make SURE your exhaust pipe is mounted well and not old/obstructed.

I also put a pan under mine and got some water sensors on amazon. They beep an SOS signal if they sense water, sounds a little like a smoke detector.

I assume you mean your TANK (not a fitting or pipe) is what is leaking? If so, get it replaced quickly unless you don't mind have that entire tank dump (and keep running) wherever it is. When the tank goes, it often GOES! Yeah, around $900 seems to be the going (ridiculous) rate for a standard heater and install. I did one at my cabin myself but it was/is electric.
I guess I've been really lucky. I keep hearing about tanks going out relatively quickly but we are going on 20 years with the same one.... I probably shouldn't have just typed that... :rolleyes:

Did it blow yet?

This is a natural gas water heater.

Leaning towards just replacing it because I speculate the price tag to switch to tankless would be much higher - but I have NO knowledge to support that. :)
The vent pipe requirement and its price for a tank less will cause you to faint.

The vent pipe requirement and its price for a tank less will cause you to faint.
I looked into and was disappointed at the maintenance requirement as well. I haven't done anything, at all, to our regular gas heater. Not drained it or anything in 20 years. Dang it... there I go again... :frusty:

I looked into and was disappointed at the maintenance requirement as well. I haven't done anything, at all, to our regular gas heater. Not drained it or anything in 20 years. Dang it... there I go again... :frusty:

Truthfully the draining etc that people do is unnecessary, other than make them feel like they are prolonging its life cycle. You should feel fortunate you have 20+ on yours. The industry average lifespan of a residential heater is hovering around 7-8 year average.

Back
Top Bottom