• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Residential water heater needs replaced

new57

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
103   0
Reaction score
Our 40 gallon water heater is 10 years old and has a slow leak. We need to replace it.

Ideally we'd like to go up to a 50 gallon system, but not at the expense of major overhaul of pipes in basement (ie form factor). If we need to stick with 40 gallon that has same measurements so it's an easy swap with the old leaking tank we'll stick with 40 and get it done.

We're looking for recommendations or references to any ODTer whose profession includes replacing water heaters.

Zip code is 30030, not far from Fernbank Museum.

Please PM or post here, thank you!

Tankless is the way to go if you have gas service
Rinnai works great more$$ up front but only works on demand no heating water for it to cool and then be re heated

Slowly Leaking?
Is it just the pop off (pressure relief) valve? If so replace just the valve.
Also check the connections coming in and going out. They may just need to be tightened or a little teflon tape.
Also check the drain at the bottom and make sure the leak isn't there.

Last edited:
I had a client from FL, a plumber and he installed a tankless system on his cabin. It is a electric tankless and it works for the whole house just fine. It is made in Miami and costs about 200 bucks with a one year warranty. He swears by them. He sets it on the lowest heat setting and just runs hot water when taking a shower or doing dishes. Dropped his power bill about 60%, Just something to think about.

This is a natural gas water heater.

Leaning towards just replacing it because I speculate the price tag to switch to tankless would be much higher - but I have NO knowledge to support that. :)

yes, price tag to switch to tankless would be much higher, there are strict ventilation requirements and gas supply needs. most likely the gas line to the heater would need replacing along with the exhaust flue. if you dont currently have an expansion tank on the line, you would need one of those added as well. if you already have the exp tank, you could probably swap the heater out yourself with some banged up knuckles and lots of practice in your four letter vocabulary

Back
Top Bottom