• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Residential Internet Service (suggestions?)

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks I will move from Atlanta to Towne Lake (Woodstock) and I am setting up all utilities.
We need high speed internet. Currently we have 50Mb download and upload. It's very reliable, but I cannot transfer the account since we live in a condo and that is part of the whole HOA package.

We do not watch cable TV at home. We just need high speed Internet, no need for entertainment packages (Netflix or similar).

I thought I could ask for recommendation here, since I have not been dealing with an Internet provider directly for more 15 years, so I don't even know what is available and what are the best more reliable services.

The lady I talked to at Gas South told me they partner with All Connect and that they could set us up with several providers, however the phone call dropped when she tried to transfer my call. I think they are a sort of middle men, I wonder if anybody uses their services.

All the providers suck in some way or another. I switched a couple of years ago to AT&T because they offer gigabit fiber in my area that was much cheaper than I was paying for 60mb service with the local cable company. The service has been great, I get an avg of 960mb down and up most of the time. No outages, except for the one time a truck came by and pulled the fiber off the pole, in that case I was on hold for nearly an hour to report it and had to wait 2 days for a tech to come about and re-install it. Like all of these companies the customer service sucks.
You can check here if it's available at your new address: https://www.att.com/local/fiber/georgia/woodstock

I have seen many folks buy a new place only to find the internet service they want is not available. Should be the first part of finding a new home these days.

I can not get cable TV service in my home, for instance. Just as well, I hate cable.

Comcast sucks, But so do the satellite options. Depending on where in Towne Lake, I would move to Google Fiber, then ATT, then Comcast, then Satellite options, then Windstream.

I have had Comcast and up until the last month, they have been okay to deal with. However in the last 21 days, My internet has been down 15 days. I have mobile hotspots for when this happens but it is still a PIA. Comcast has credited my account however so at least I have not paid for internet I couldn't use.

I had ATT Gigabit Fiber and loved it. The support sucked worst than Comcasts and when it went down, it went down for days. I went back to Comcast. Calling tech support is like jumping naked into a pool of razor blades but the reliability can not be beat.

….AT&T .....
….
You can check here if it's available at your new address: https://www.att.com/local/fiber/georgia/woodstock
Thanks a lot. It looks like it is : "Good news. It looks like AT&T Fiber is available at your address."

Can I ask how does it work?
The house is quite old. The AT&T tech comes, drills a hole in the wall and pull a cable inside the house?
I know this must be a very basic stupid question but hey, last time I did something like that it was twenty years ago and still with the phone line.

I have seen many folks buy a new place only to find the internet service they want is not available. Should be the first part of finding a new home these days.

I can not get cable TV service in my home, for instance. Just as well, I hate cable.
Right. The only "excuse" I have is that it is a back up plan that I had to implement in the last few days. I am actually lucky that I found a place we really like.

Thanks a lot. It looks like it is : "Good news. It looks like AT&T Fiber is available at your address."

Can I ask how does it work?
The house is quite old. The AT&T tech comes, drills a hole in the wall and pull a cable inside the house?
I know this must be a very basic stupid question but hey, last time I did something like that it was twenty years ago and still with the phone line.

They will come out and run the fiber from the nearest pole to the outside of your house and install a box on the side of the house, they then run a line to a fiber "modem" small box on the inside where you want it mine is attached the base board, its a small box about 3" x 4". For my house we ran the line in the crawl space and came up through the floor in my office. My house was built in the 50's so it's quite old too? Than they will install a router that provides your wifi and Ethernet. They run a line from the fiber modem to the router so these should be near each other. Once that is done you will likely want a Ethernet line from your computer to the router, make sure your computer has a gigabit ethernet or you wont get the full speed. Most newer computers do. That's assuming you go with the gigabit speed, they do offer several diff. speeds for less money.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom