• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raised Garden Bed

I just had this made for me out of galvanized steel.

DSCN2346.JPG

IMG_20200518_134446283_HDR.jpg
I probably messed up. 10ft long, 4 ft wide, 40 inches high. Filled completely with 4 cubic yards of garden blend, no liner, sand or gravel.....but the stuff is growing like crazy. I am a rookie at this farming stuff.View attachment 2631967 View attachment 2631968
Looks good.
Good bed. Garden blend soil should have peat moss in it. 40" should keep moisture in. If you notice that your soil is drying out too quickly, mulch it with pine or cedar shavings. Without a liner there will be some soil loss, but more soil can be added for the next season.

PS by August wood should be seasoned enough for u to stain it. Will get more life out of the bed. Stain just the top and outside. We stained ours this year, was built last year.

PPS moss adds acidity, which most garden plants like, and retains moisture.

Hello mine is 12 feet by 80 feet on an incline so the back edge is 6 inches deep and the side down the hill is 24 inches deep with 5 dividers. I had top soil delivered and there is where my problems began. I wasn't there when it was delivered otherwise I would rejected it and sent it and the driver down the road.The soil was plain old field dirt if that, it was full of various size rocks from pea size up to the size of your fist.The worst of all and there is nothing you can do about identifying this problem is NEMATODES, microscopic worms that can be beneficial or harmful. Well guess which one my soil was loaded with, you guessed right and now my garden grows the plants for a while but will not grow enough to produce and vegetables. The harmful group of worms burrows into the roots, stems and leaves. There is no effective chemical control approved for home owners. there are only ways to try to limit the damage they do.There are other ways to try to eliminate them you can look those up on line.

Plant French Marigolds for the nematodes

There's a guy in Headland Al. that built it near my BIL. They are about $130 each. I can get you contact info if you want.

Back
Top Bottom