• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raised Garden Bed

Anyone ever used mums in/around garden to prevent bugs? I was researching them as a natural defense and it looks interesting; they produce a naturally occurring chemical similar to permethrin. The flowers can be planted in/next to the garden or the flowers can be steeped into a tea that can be sprayed on the plants.

Also, anyone have good success with fresh water DE for preventing bugs?

My wife used mums/chrysanthemums. They do not work as well as marigolds. We plant 1 marigold for 2 producing plants, and other taller flowers, like cosmos, in the middle of the raised beds, to attract pollinators.

I used diatomaceous earth for bugs when I had ducks. It works. Have not tried on the plants. I may.
PS I am trying cedar shavings for mulch this year, instead of usual pine shavings. Cedar repels pests as well.

I have Terro outdoor bait stations around the strawberries and in the rhubarab bed. Ants devastate rhubarb roots and strawberries.

My problem is snails in the strawberries. I'm not going to bother with the beer trap thing and have been meaning to try DE and for whatever reason haven't. Where do you guys get it?
Tractor Supply.
Try this for snails. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JJNF0A

Brush it off the strawberry leaves. I used it on tomatoes, peppers, figs.

PS egg shels work good to keep snails of my Angel trumpets.

I used diatomaceous earth for bugs when I had ducks. It works. Have not tried on the plants. I may.
PS I am trying cedar shavings for mulch this year, instead of usual pine shavings. Cedar repels pests as well.

I have Terro outdoor bait stations around the strawberries and in the rhubarab bed. Ants devastate rhubarb roots and strawberries.
Diatomaceous earth will eliminate blossom end rot as well as killing hornworm and other pests.

Back
Top Bottom