• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raised Garden Bed

dawg

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
13   0
Reaction score
Anyone here created a raised garden bed? The wife wants one in the backyard, so I figured I would see what others have done. I know I could slap 4 2x10’s together, but I’m sure there are other creative options.

Any lessons learned? I read on one site not to make them wider than 3 feet to reach everything.

Yeah I got one 5 x 10. plant wildflower pacs in it each year,3 2x10's cut one in half and 2 down the sides stakes on the sides and ends, gravel and dirt an d potting soil

Anyone here created a raised garden bed? The wife wants one in the backyard, so I figured I would see what others have done. I know I could slap 4 2x10’s together, but I’m sure there are other creative options.

Any lessons learned? I read on one site not to make them wider than 3 feet to reach everything.
I did this years ago and took care of the mole problems.
IMG_0667.JPG

I went to one of the more recently popular ax throwing businesses around Atlanta and got free untreated 2x10 to build my raised beds.

I've made them from 2x12's before. Filled them with different things over the years and found it simplest to keep it weeded with a mix of 50% sand and 50% sawdust (or 50% compost). That makes for a hydroponic garden so you have to fertilize it regularly but things grow great, weeding is very simple because it takes little effort to "pull" one. I'm sure 2x10's would work just fine too. Usually no more than 3-4' across to make it easy to reach across while weeding.

Last ones I made were 20' long. Weed cloth in the bottom before you fill it up with whatever you are filling it up with.

Back
Top Bottom