• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why would someone bury plastic pots and small styrofoam coolers in a bed?

Current house basement was fubared when we moved in. Previous wannabe "flippers" wired the basement with all low voltage wiring for the outlets, all were scorched and blackened. Had to re pull all that as well as ground the panel in the basement.

Current house basement was fubared when we moved in. Previous wannabe "flippers" wired the basement with all low voltage wiring for the outlets, all were scorched and blackened. Had to re pull all that as well as ground the panel in the basement.
Why do people do this shyte? Just cheapness?

Absolutely the wrong way to do it. Tearing a few roots is not going to hurt the plant. Leaving it root bound will do exponentially more harm. Just cut the pot off if you can't get it to release and carefully loosen the roots before planting.
If is really root bound, 8 vertical cuts all the way around the rootball really help to encourage the root growth.

My friend Margaret has purchased a home in NC. As time goes on I'll come up here and do some projects for her and try to help her "fix" some of the things the short bus riding prior owner "built" or undo some of his "improvements."

The electrical ridiculousness, the outdoor irrigation (DIY) and the "carpentry" I can sort of understand when I put on my hillbilly dumbass "git 'er done" hat. The guy was a ****ing disaster with tools.

He did something thought that has me truly mystified. He buried small styrofoam coolers and plastic pots (the cheap Lowes "take home a plant" type) in the bed alongside the entryway to the house. Now they are all under the surface but rootbound. They've been a complete and total nightmare to dig out and bag up.

I'm just curious. Has anyone ever seen this done before and why would the MENSA candidate do such a thing? I've lived in a lot of homes over the years and I've always tried to make the exterior and gardening look good, so I've done some projects before. I just cannot figure out why he would bury this shyte in the beds? Any ideas?

As others have said that's a thing that competitive flower growers, botanical gardens and commercial nurseries do to control the soil, etc.. I would not be surprised if you dig a little deeper and find heat tape of some kind buried. Or the guy could have just planned on replacing them every year; that's a thing too.

I do that with my large stationary pots. Rather than replant each spring I just drop a plant straight from Home Depot inside and remove it come winter

Why do people do this shyte? Just cheapness?
Most likely, they ran out of money and had to stop the reno. Got about 60% done and busted. We got a deal on the house because of that, but had a lot of issues to work through.

Master bath flooring was layered over house siding as the base material, main drain lines were full of latex paint balls and hand towels, ceiling fan in great room (24') was hanging by the power wires only, doors painted shut, on and on and on.

We had Darkdiesel there for about a month I think getting the electrical sorted out.......

Back
Top Bottom