• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA: Once you leave the store your gun

Forgive me for questioning the conventional wisdom here but I paid $450 new at my local gun store for my JM stamped Marlin .357 lever gun several years ago. If I want to sell it here on ODT, what would be a fair price factoring in that “left the store” depreciation? $400? $350? $300? My Ruger GP100 was also just $350 back then, but I see them here for $700+ all the time…so I should be the good guy and list it for $300 then?

I’d have to change my screen name to RoyDumbMercer!

Forgive me for questioning the conventional wisdom here but I paid $450 new at my local gun store for my JM stamped Marlin .357 lever gun several years ago. If I want to sell it here on ODT, what would be a fair price factoring in that “left the store” depreciation? $400? $350? $300? My Ruger GP100 was also just $350 back then, but I see them here for $700+ all the time…so I should be the good guy and list it for $300 then?

I’d have to change my screen name to RoyDumbMercer!
Well if you put it that way I got a 660 in 6.5 and a 350 mag still in the box that came from Kmart in the 70s I paid $89+ tax
i just haven’t decided to sell them yet.

Think about it for a min from the view point of someone who only comes to a gun site that's known for selling guns. Some folks pay a premium, I mean over a premium, for something that's not tied to them in any way. People buy overpriced guns all the time, some people even pay extra for ones that they know will not be tracked back to them.
How often do you see a way overpriced item and everyone grumbles and talks a bunch of smack about it, but the item disappeared without anyone openly buying it. Maybe it was sold at a gun show? Maybe it's was traded at a shop? Maybe, someone was so afraid of thier name being on a list that they bought it incognito?
I remember a while back when folks were selling the "reset triggers" for several hundred over cost simply because it couldn't be traced back to anyone they know

Back
Top Bottom