• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preferred Glock mods by professionals & serious students

I have tried most of the MODs mentioned and agree that most help. I started shooting GSSF and staying with in spec's for stock what if any are the best options? This excludes the sights, that is personal preference. I guess most are personal preference. I shoot about 2000 rd's a month but you guys make me feel like a rookie.

Like some others I have a deep rooted aversion to UN-stocking a gun. At least in function. Connectors and triggers are what they are to me. My reasoning is not distrust or anything it's just that I don't want to get spoiled by the upgrades and have to learn the hard way again at a bad time. I'm more survival/prepper oriented and like to stay as close to what conditions will be like without the ability to order connectors, sights, batteries etc online and have them delivered. I also shoot to attain and maintain proficiency, not competition and I doubt I will ever shoot 2000 rounds in any two weeks, much less two days so the trigger face, reset and weight are fine for me.

Now the sights I surely agree with. The G32 I just picked up has the stock block and dot sights and I hate it. I might put night sights on it but I will most likely just go with a simple 3 dot setup.

Extended slide/mag releases on Glocks is another real good idea. Two of the very few areas Glock Gen 3 and olders were lacking in. I once had an extended mag release put on a G27 at Glock. The next time I CCed it IWB I thought I had a busted bottle in my side. I took the wifes nail file and "de-burred" that sucker and it all worked out fine.

The inner tube idea is great. This G32 had a Hogue wrap around with finger grooves...seemed silly on a gun with finger grooves and added a bit too much thickness any way so it came off before the paperwork was finished. Found a use for it though. It's a nice add to my Ruger P95 I keep in the bathroom. Will make the shower gun a bit more grippy. I thought I HAD to have a G19 with the RTF finish a couple of years back and found out that the R in RTF is no understatement. First time I carried in SOB/IWB for a few hours I thought I had a horny hedgehog trying to crawl into my Fruit of the Looms. Wish you'd have mentioned the inner tube THEN. ;)

I sometimes find myself thinking that you are a bit of a "know it all" but am honest enough to admit that while not all, you DO seem to know a LOT. Thanks for sharing it. I will run with the inner tube idea ASAP. And next trip to Glock I'll be getting the new gal tuned up and "tricked out" with the extendeds and maybe some night sights.

Helpful and informative thread. Much appreciated.

I don't mean to come across that way & apologize if I sound that way.

One explanation could be explained this way. Imagine if I went to someone else's work where they had been professionally employed for years & started offering opinions on the tools & techniques they use on their job & suggesting that they didn't know as much as me about how to do it since that was my hobby?

While this a a fun forum open to everyone & everyones opinion matters, when a person does something for an occupation for several years it is very likely that they will have a broader level of experience than others who do the same activity as a hobby and will become somewhat opinionated... even if sometimes they are wrong.

Doing something for a living professionally offers a different perspective & opportunity/ laboratory to put theories to the test in real world conditions & on a large scale... especially when you've been able to train (or train with) several hundred people from housewives & total neophytes to battle hardened spec-ops. soldiers & SWAT trained L.E. Officers.

I'm sure that many of the other Instructors that are members on here will agree that often we learn as much from the students as they do from us.

I have also had the good fortune to learn from people much smarter than myself. For almost 30 years I have been ( & continue to be) a serious student of the use of defensive firearms & tactics. My collection of books, magazines, dvd's, & saved web articles on the subject matter dates back to the days of Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Massad Ayoob & Jeff Cooper and goes up to modern day experts such as Scott Reitz, Jeff Gonzales, Dave Grossman, & Patrick Rogers.

Most of my opinions on mindset, gear & tactics come from a combination of all of the decades I've devoted to learning from the top experts and the countless hours I've spent grinding out a living on the range as well as some of the work I've done in the "protective services" field. Very rarely will you see any of my opinions differ from the consensus of more well-known professionals. While the "tune" might be a little different, the "song" we sing is usually the same.

As an Instructor I do my very best to impart the mindset & physical skills needed to empower people to defend themselves from deadly assaults... all the while trying to keep them from shooting themselves or me.
There is a big difference between going to the range with a couple buddies for a relaxing afternoon of shooting vs. cutting your normal rate to near minimum wage to spend the day with a woman who was the victim of a violent sexual assault or brutal physical violence from an ex-husband or boyfriend who wants to learn how to shoot to protect herself from "that" ever happening to her again. Being around people like that is probably why sometimes I get a bit too serious.

People think it's the worlds greatest job but I assure you there are easier ( & safer) ways to make a living.

It's been a pleasure in the last couple of years to see so many very sharp, experienced members other than me who share their experience with younger or less experienced members who are "trying to find their way". Often I do not post on threads because others have posted very intelligent, relevent answers that I can offer nothing better to say.

Again... my apologies to all for sometimes coming across as arrogant & all-knowing as that is not my intent.

Nah, you work in the field. As I said I recognize and admit that you DO know a "fair bit" ;) I'm usually interested in learning what a pro has to say...although I'm stubborn enough not to always take his advice even when I pay for it.

I have been carrying for a loooong time now and I try to stay proficient but I love it and couldn't see making it into work. Remember, work is a four-letter word. I guess it's kinda like I wouldn't want to be a gynecologist...some things are meant to be enjoyed and not studied too hard.

Lately, I keep being surprised at the realization that this is the year I turn 50. Hardly seems like it. But it does go a long way towards explaining why I sometimes have a hard time being flexible and learning new tricks. I'm an old dog. Heck it was just this past month or so I finally had to break from the CLP I so dearly loved ever since my army days back in 1983. Sheesh! It's been over 30 years since I went into the army...no wonder I get crotchety and cantankerous at times.

Incidentally, Massad Ayoob was always one of my heroes. One of the first, whose articles I ever read in the field. And I remember laughing the first time I ever heard the term "crunchenticker" (Coopers invention I believe). Next laugh was on me since I've never owned a gun that wasn't one. LOL!

Any way, Prot...rock on bro. You're a font of wisdom and inflamation..er. ;)

Thanks again for the excellent suggestions.

Nah, you work in the field. As I said I recognize and admit that you DO know a "fair bit" ;) I'm usually interested in learning what a pro has to say...although I'm stubborn enough not to always take his advice even when I pay for it.

I have been carrying for a loooong time now and I try to stay proficient but I love it and couldn't see making it into work. Remember, work is a four-letter word. I guess it's kinda like I wouldn't want to be a gynecologist...some things are meant to be enjoyed and not studied too hard.

Lately, I keep being surprised at the realization that this is the year I turn 50. Hardly seems like it. But it does go a long way towards explaining why I sometimes have a hard time being flexible and learning new tricks. I'm an old dog. Heck it was just this past month or so I finally had to break from the CLP I so dearly loved ever since my army days back in 1983. Sheesh! It's been over 30 years since I went into the army...no wonder I get crotchety and cantankerous at times.

Incidentally, Massad Ayoob was always one of my heroes. One of the first, whose articles I ever read in the field. And I remember laughing the first time I ever heard the term "crunchenticker" (Coopers invention I believe). Next laugh was on me since I've never owned a gun that wasn't one. LOL!

Any way, Prot...rock on bro. You're a font of wisdom and inflamation..er. ;)

Thanks again for the excellent suggestions.

I do try to help where I can and have found that we all learn from each other and are on the same side when it comes right down to it.

By the way, I probably have more books & articles from Ayoob than anyone else. I think in future generations he will be revered right alongside Cooper & Jordan.

I do try to help where I can and have found that we all learn from each other and are on the same side when it comes right down to it.

By the way, I probably have more books & articles from Ayoob than anyone else. I think in future generations he will be revered right alongside Cooper & Jordan.

He ain't already? Heck, he's got 'em beat hands down for name recognition. LOL!

I have tried most of the MODs mentioned and agree that most help. I started shooting GSSF and staying with in spec's for stock what if any are the best options? This excludes the sights, that is personal preference. I guess most are personal preference. I shoot about 2000 rd's a month but you guys make me feel like a rookie.

That's a lot of rounds. There are many months I see that many or more rounds fired but I don't shoot that many in a month ( or a few days) very often.

I just started shooting the indoor league GSSF. Haven't made it to the outdoor ones cause I'm usually working. I'm not much into shooting "games" but the indoor match didn't last long enough to "mess" up some of the tactical practices I try to maintain.

Which GSSF do you shoot?

That's a lot of rounds. There are many months I see that many or more rounds fired but I don't shoot that many in a month ( or a few days) very often.

I just started shooting the indoor league GSSF. Haven't made it to the outdoor ones cause I'm usually working. I'm not much into shooting "games" but the indoor match didn't last long enough to "mess" up some of the tactical practices I try to maintain.

Which GSSF do you shoot?
I started at Bullseye in Cumming. I shoot at Johns Creek most of the time. They are going to start matches in April. The old eyes fail me at 75 ft but I think I need to work harder on fundamentals. It is fun but frustrating.
Thanks for all the info from everyone!

Back
Top Bottom