• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preferred Glock mods by professionals & serious students

Interesting.... we have to get together sometime to compare notes.

Sounds like a plan, and the great part is having finished up shoulder repairs (both sides) and my right elbow I am starting to enjoy getting out and burning some time and ammo again after a lousy year and a half. Will shoot you a PM soon and schedule a link up.

Bonn nuit

Sounds like a plan, and the great part is having finished up shoulder repairs (both sides) and my right elbow I am starting to enjoy getting out and burning some time and ammo again after a lousy year and a half. Will shoot you a PM soon and schedule a link up.

Bonn nuit

Looking forward to it.

I would agree with most listed.

Factory "sights" definitely suck. My go to setup is the Warren tactical sights with a tritium front and a plain rear. Everything from competition to carry guns have these. You'd actually be surprised how many times I've found the tritium front to be useful at a match vs fibers.

On triggers, a simple minus or dot connector is very sufficient, especially once the gun gets some rounds on it. I like a positive and fast reset; which gets lost when lightening springs and such. I also don't like being married to Federal pistol primers, thus stock parts work for me.

I used to say the extended slide lock lever was a must, but I experimented with a gun without one for a few months and found that it didn't make a difference in reload times or reliability of manipulating the release.

On Gen 1/2/3 guns, the mid size factory "FBI" mag release (same length as the Tangodown), works great. It's just long enough without going too long like the normal extended piece. I do knock an ever so slight edge off the factory piece for comfort. On Gen 4 guns, I think the stock release is quite nice and the larger surface area negates the need for a longer piece.

As mentioned above, swapping a compact or subcompact serrated trigger out for a smooth one from a full size gun is a nice touch for shooter comfort over a long day of shooting.

I've got some butt plugs, a magwell and just left a few alone and never really noticed a difference on the bottom of the grip treatment. If I've got a one laying around, I'll stick it in otherwise I don't pay to much attention to it. I've got a magwell I've been playing with on a G34, but as the Glock mags have a nice taper for a double stack mag, I don't think it's necessary like it is on a single stack gun.

So in short my preferences for an immediate swap are:
Sights
Connector
Potentially a mag release

Other than that, they're not the Harley's of the gun world and need to be constantly tinkered with. Buy ammo, buy mags and shoot the thing.

#3 was very ingenious , had not seen that before you showed folks that at one of the meet-and-greets. Seems to add very little thickness, the price is right and with just one tube you could have plenty for multiple Glocks.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMAG1667-1.jpg
    IMAG1667-1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG1668.jpg
    IMAG1668.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG1665-1.jpg
    IMAG1665-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG0015-1.jpg
    IMAG0015-1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 410
#3 was very ingenious , had not seen that before you showed folks that at one of the meet-and-greets. Seems to add very little thickness, the price is right and with just one tube you could have plenty for multiple Glocks.

Thanks. Like I mentioned, that's an old cop trick that I picked up. Every now & then I run into Officers with that mod.still.

The key is to use a large mountain bike tube that is snug but not so tight that it squeezes the grip in to impair mag. release or so loose that it shifts during hard use. I will not have a grip shifting during use. In my experience many production versions do.
The tube seems to add the right amount of tackiness w/o adding hardly any bulk.
During install remember that it will shrink 5%-8%.
Also remember not to cover either side of the mag. release or the bottom of the magwell.

I would agree with most listed.

Factory "sights" definitely suck. My go to setup is the Warren tactical sights with a tritium front and a plain rear. Everything from competition to carry guns have these. You'd actually be surprised how many times I've found the tritium front to be useful at a match vs fibers.

On triggers, a simple minus or dot connector is very sufficient, especially once the gun gets some rounds on it. I like a positive and fast reset; which gets lost when lightening springs and such. I also don't like being married to Federal pistol primers, thus stock parts work for me.

I used to say the extended slide lock lever was a must, but I experimented with a gun without one for a few months and found that it didn't make a difference in reload times or reliability of manipulating the release.

On Gen 1/2/3 guns, the mid size factory "FBI" mag release (same length as the Tangodown), works great. It's just long enough without going too long like the normal extended piece. I do knock an ever so slight edge off the factory piece for comfort. On Gen 4 guns, I think the stock release is quite nice and the larger surface area negates the need for a longer piece.

As mentioned above, swapping a compact or subcompact serrated trigger out for a smooth one from a full size gun is a nice touch for shooter comfort over a long day of shooting.

I've got some butt plugs, a magwell and just left a few alone and never really noticed a difference on the bottom of the grip treatment. If I've got a one laying around, I'll stick it in otherwise I don't pay to much attention to it. I've got a magwell I've been playing with on a G34, but as the Glock mags have a nice taper for a double stack mag, I don't think it's necessary like it is on a single stack gun.

So in short my preferences for an immediate swap are:
Sights
Connector
Potentially a mag release

Other than that, they're not the Harley's of the gun world and need to be constantly tinkered with. Buy ammo, buy mags and shoot the thing.

Agreed.
And the FBI mag. release or Tangodowns version for pre Gen. 4 models is the perfect compromise between the factory one which is a bit short & the extended one which is too long.

Also agree the extended slide lock/release & butt plug are ones I can live with or without.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom