• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preferred Glock mods by professionals & serious students

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
While stock is fine my personal "evolution" (mod. wise) after somewhere in excess of 250,000 rds. through my guns since '90 or '91 are simple, inexpensive, do not adversely affect reliability, & are the same ones (or some of the same ones) done by most Instructors or Advanced students/ "serial trainers" that I've encountered over the years.

Many people after trying one of my modded guns compared to theirs decided to mod theirs out the same way or at least include part of the mods.
Not that what I do to mine is that special. I have said many times that I've found in life that if professionals in an industry or occupation are consistently doing or using something, whether it be a technique or a piece of equipment... they are probably doing it for a good reason.
Most of these mods are ones I've learned from others over the years.

Highly recommended Mods (pics. on post #18 in this thread):

1. Metal, quality combat sights. My personal favorites are the Ameriglo I-Dot Pro's with the orange front outline. They are rugged, precise, low snag, very fast to pickup, & have the Heinie "Straight 8" tritium dot over a dot system. Some people prefer the Trijicon H-D's that are very similar but more expensive. Huge improvement over the factory "slot-fillers".
I've found them to be a good all around set of sights & have them on most of my guns. For dedicated target guns either the Warren/ Sevigny brand ( I have two sets of them on class "loaner" guns) or Dawson Precision are very popular.

2. Addition of a " - " connector. Slightly lightens the trigger & gives a smooth, clean, crisp break w/ minimal aftertravel. I have found the Lone Wolf Minus Connector to be my personal favorite & order them several at a time. The Ghost seems popular as well.
I insisted on staying with the stock one until attending Rogers Shooting School & shooting around 2000 rds. in 3 days.
Those one handed ( weak or strong side) shots at 20 yds. when the 8" plate is only exposed for 1/2 to 2 or 3 seconds made me a believer of the minus connector. For me & several other shooters I've spoken or trained with experience slightly higher miss rates with the stock connector. During quick one handed shots even a slight twitch will produce a miss out at 15-20+ yards on small targets.
Plus saving that pound 2000 times helped reduce trigger finger exhaustion.

3. Addition of a section of bicycle innertube over the factory grip. The factory grip on the Gen. 4's specifically, are a bit aggressive & will chafe ones side if it is carried against bare skin. If ones hand/ fingers become wet...whether it be due to rain, sweat, or blood the shooter can lose their consistent grip. Most of the aftermarket grips add too much bulk & can be pricey. The bike innertube is usually free & adds almost zero bulk while adding just the right amount of non-skid feel/ texture. This is an old Cop trick that was used on revolvers.

4. Addition of a smooth faced trigger bar replacing the serrated one. The serrated trigger bar causes the trigger finger to go numb during high round count sessions & can be uncomfortable in even short sessions but to many shooters including myself the smooth trigger bar has a much better "feel" or engagement than the serrated one.

Less Important Mods.:

5. Extended slide lock/ release. Helpful during one handed manipulations & faster and or more sure than the factory one for those who use it. This is a not a "must have" but some like it. As long as reliability is not sacrificed it is preferred by some shooters.
If you prefer to use the "over the top" or "slingshot" technique" as taught by most schools... go with it.
I always have but most of the shooters that I've spent time with who have been in firefights "downrange" & had to use a pistol use the slide lock/ release where possible or the other techniques if need be such as when wearing gloves. Too many people obsess or overthink this issue. In my school I demonstrate all 3, discuss the advantages/ disadvantages of each, tell them to practice, then pick what they prefer for their needs but to know practice/ know all of them.

6. Vickers/ Tango Down mag. release. If the factory one works well, run it. If you have issues with mags. sticking during fast, weak-hand, or high stress reloads you might try this mod. out. Larry Vickers knows his way around a Glock & came up with this for a reason. Some of my guns run fine w/o it... others run better with it.

7. Scherer extended butt plug. Again, this is not a "must-have" item but can have some benefits for some shooters. This small unobtrusive addition acts like a mini- magwell helping drive slightly off center reloads home. It also helps reduce the awful pinch experienced on the palm when seating a standard length G-19/23 mag. home hard in that size gun. A better solution that always works is to just use the larger G-17/22 mag. for reloads. In addition to avoiding the palm pinch you have more surface area to grab to correct a double feed malfunction & pick up a couple more rounds w/o really losing any concealability mag-wise.
It does require that you clean the grip channel behind the magwell out frequently as debris can build up over time.

While each person may not feel the need for any, much less all of these mods., these are the most popular mods. that I use & have seen in use by professionals and serious students.

* Of course as J. Cooper always put first, reliability is the most important consideration. For a defensive firearm it is critical to test any mod out to make sure it works for you on your gun.

If your stock gun runs fine for you... go with it.

Last edited:
I appreciate the explanation. I have gone between the ghost connector and stock and really see the benefit you have mentioned. I have installed smooth triggers on my 26 and 19 and truly appreciate it after a day at the range.

Great thread PM,
While I have a great aversion to "change" I would agree with just about all of your suggestions to some degree as most of my peers have jumped on at least a few of them. Having surpassed the 1/2 million mark a while back through Glock 17's and Glock 19s (one particular 19 with well over 200K rounds) I have stayed a bit more traditional or "stock" as it were but definitely see the merit in everything above. I have used both the 17 and 19 for work that are stock so I have stayed with a solid set of quality metal sights, mine are Ameriglo I-Dot Pros just as Protective Measures, had them for a few years and the bright tritium and orange paint on a thinner front has been great for my now aging eyes (in the "straight 8 configuration as well) and shows plenty of light when sitting between the rear/front for faster pick up.

The second, and last "mod" as it were, is an extended slide lock/release and while I also "slingshot" the slide, I use it (extended SR) for one handed drills as well as other techniques most likely very similar to PM's as well.

For me that generally does it BUT I will be snagging an extended plug as I have continually pinched the heck out of my lower palm over the years doing reloads and keep neglecting this upgrade !! Thanks for the reminder.

While most of my more experienced peers have gone to a slightly modified trigger I have just grown so used to the well worn stock trigger that anything else feels weird to me, years of dry-fire and shooting have produced two very distinct calluses, one on the tip of my trigger finger and one more the first joint of my middle finger that sits under the trigger guard so I no longer feel any wear on those contact points after long days on the range.

I would definitely consider myself big-time a minimalist when it comes to gear.

Last edited:
Who makes a smooth trigger?

And why isn't the stainless guide rod worth it?

The smooth trigger is a factory part. The Glock serrated trigger was "born" when imported guns had to meet a "point" system set up by the (then) ATF.
A certain number of points had to be met on a gun in order for it to be imported. Points were awarded for things like adjus. target sights, finger grooves, serrated triggers, etc.
Thats why you see some of those features on guns when they don't always make sense or improve the guns feel/ function.

It's fine to swap them out. The smooth trigger usually runs between $10-14 & is a simple install.

Now that the gude rod is a two piece heavier duty part (on gen. 4's) it is built more robust but is still a part that they recommend changing every few thousand rounds.
They're cheap so why not?
I used to change out gen. 3's but couldn't really tell much of a difference in reliability at all so I went back to factory & would just swap them when they stopped returning the slide into battery or the gun started having feed related issues.

Having surpassed the 1/2 million mark a while back through Glock 17's and Glock 19s (one particular 19 with well over 200K rounds) I have stayed a bit more traditional or "stock" as it were but definitely see the merit in everything above. I have used both the 17 and 19 for work that are stock so I have stayed with a solid set of quality metal sights, mine are Ameriglo I-Dot Pros just as Protective Measures, had them for a few years and the bright tritium and orange paint on a thinner front has been great for my now aging eyes and shows plenty of light when sitting between the rear/front for faster pick up.

The second, and last "mod" as it were, is an extended slide lock/release and while I also "slingshot" the slide I use it for one handed drills as well as other techniques most likely very similar to PM's as well.

For me that generally does it BUT I will be snagging an extended plug as I have continually pinched the heck out of my lower palm over the years doing reloads and keep neglecting this upgrade !! Thanks for the reminder.

While most of my more experienced peers have gone to a slightly modified trigger I have just grown so used to the well worn stock trigger and anything else feels weird to me, years of dry-fire and shooting have produced two very distinct calluses, one on the tip of my trigger finger and one more the first joint of my middle finger that sits under the trigger guard so I no longer feel any wear on those contact points after long days on the range.

Interesting.... we have to get together sometime to compare notes.

Back
Top Bottom