• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
Williams Bros here in Canton.
Wife and I ate there Sunday and it occurred to me that I've NEVER been disappointed with their BBQ! The Brisket was perfect as usual, they nailed the chicken, pork and ribs and I freaking love their Brunswick stew! They are consistent and have the formula down pat.

They have a very good ribeye and the Chargrilled chicken is awesome as well.

Got 2 recommendations so far within range. Sorry, Cartersville ain’t happening.

Anyone else have suggestions in the NE GA or Oconee region? Come on, everyone THINKS their neighborhood spot it the best.

And here we are again! Knee surgery #4 just happened so I’m taking the month off work. That means weeks of BBQ!

I need some new suggestions please. Post them here, PM me, whatever. Only criteria is it must be within 60 mile radius of Watkinsville.

Already got 2 on the list locally: Fresh Air BBQ, Athens (Been there but this is a new location) and BBQ Bears in Winder.

thanks for any and all suggestions.
Best in this area, hands down, G Brand, Crawford, Thursday night bluegrass jam. Thurs - Sat.

Next would be Sauce House, Broad Street, again limited hours.

So I reviewed Tamez BBQ last time. I’m not doing their lunch / dinner menu again. But they now do BREAKFAST BURRITOS!!!!!

1660 W Broad St, Athens, GA 30606
20231213_095629.jpeg20231213_095639.jpeg
My physical therapist mentioned them this morning while I was getting tortured. It was early enough and right up the street so I figured there was no better place or time to start the new hit list. The full menu is available online (https://www.tamezbbq.com/ ).

I limped in around 9:20 and walked up to the counter with no wait. Ordered a chorizo/egg burrito and a BRISKET BURRITO! Tamez is widely regarded as the best brisket in town, so there was no way I was not getting that. It’s $2 more than their standard burritos, but for $12.42 I got 2 burritos, a complimentary biscuit, and a free cup of coffee. There are tables to eat outside if you want, but it was cold and my knee hurt like hell so so I got the burritos to go. Took about 4 minutes to make fresh.

I stopped by Jittery Joes to get a coffee on the way home, and by the time I opened them in my LaZBoy 30 minutes later the burritos were still warm. The counter lady did her job well wrapping them in foil. (Pro tip - don’t put a greasy ass burrito bag on the seat of your new truck…..put it on the floor mat. In a related story anyone know where to get car seats shampooed?)

They come with some sort of salsa if you want it but you don’t need it. I tried the brisket taco (added onion and beans to it, there are a few options you can pick). Holy hell it was delicious. The brisket had bark, was tender, simply seasoned, smoke flavor, everything you can ask for. I intended to eat half if it then 1/2 of the chorizo but I couldn’t put it down. It was that good. So I plowed through the chorizo/egg burrito next. Not too spicy, but a little kick, the eggs were fluffy and made fresh to order. 2 burritos down in about 7 minutes.

IMG_2260.jpeg
IMG_2261.jpeg
And I was down for the count……….

Can’t recommend the place enough. The best part was the burrito wraps. I don’t think they make them in house but wherever they source is magical. They had just enough combination of stretch / structural integrity to hold the contents after a 30 minute trip steaming in aluminum foil and NEVER tore open. Try that with a grocery store wrap and you’ll get greasy chorizo all over your shirt and tie. The biscuit was meh and the coffee was nothing special but it served it‘s purpose. Better than a poke in the eye.

The young lady working the counter was very polite, service was fast, food was great, and it was a good value. And the burritos never tore!

20231213_104333.jpeg20231213_104118.jpeg20231213_104215.jpeg

I have to toss this out since they are my extended family and all….
First is JR’s LOG HOUSE owned by my cousin - Jerry Romonas .
Second is THE OLD HICKORY HOUSE …. (Multiple locations) Owned by my extended family - the “Blacks“
(which is really funny because my last name is Brown !! Lol)

So we have a few BBQ roots in our family over the decades. I will just say that family reunions and functions are always good eating ! Lol

I have to toss this out since they are my extended family and all….
First is JR’s LOG HOUSE owned by my cousin - Jerry Romonas .
Second is THE OLD HICKORY HOUSE …. (Multiple locations) Owned by my extended family - the “Blacks“
(which is really funny because my last name is Brown !! Lol)

So we have a few BBQ roots in our family over the decades. I will just say that family reunions and functions are always good eating ! Lol
Where ?

JR’s Log House is on Peachtree Industrial just north of Norcross almost to Duluth.
The Old Hickory House restaurants are in multiple locations throughout the south, mostly north and mid GA but some in Ncarolina , Scarolina, Tenn …..it has been a few years since I saw any of them but last I knew there were 20+stores
I think ??
(of course with recent seizure events, my memory is floppy too ! Lol )

Jerry did have a place for a while called JR’s grill in Duluth (I think??) but I am not sure if that is still a thing or not.
After my folks passed on I haven’t really talked with them that much, occasionally I will talk with a cousin or something , ya know ?
But my Aunt Mildred and us were really tight at one time. That’s Jerry’s mother. She was on the billboards all over Atlanta at one time . They said “come eat with JR’s mom” with her face and all in a maids uniform. She used to work the store everyday serving tables !! I loved that woman !!

Back
Top Bottom