• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
I used to like Shane's in Newnan until their punk asses brought me this dry, half of what I paid for, over cooked, left over ****ty bbq chicken

It looked and tasted like they scraped the bottom of the pan that had been left under a heat lamp all day which is probably what it was. I didn't eat it
Did you bring it to their attention?

Finally getting time to put up a new review:

Butt Hutt, 480 Macon Hwy, Athens

I’ve lived here a long time and never tried this one before. It was always on the ‘other’ side of town from where I lived, but I was driving by the other day and figured I should finally give it a go. The name is a bit cheeky, there is plenty of parking, and they are open for lunch and dinner daily. They have a small bar, and serve liquor, beer, and wine.

Went about 2:00 in the afternoon. They weren’t busy at all. 2 servers working and 1 cook out front smoking a heater as I walked in.

Last time around I tried pulled pork almost exclusively; this time I want to try brisket if it’s available, or ribs as a back-up plan.

I ordered something called Meat Skins, with butt rub at the server’s suggestion. It’s pork rinds - Chicharrones if you’re fancy. Got the Brisket Plate with Stew and Mac & Cheese. Plates include 2 sides, with a small upcharge for the ‘premium’ side of stew. They have 4 sauces, I got a sample of each.

The Meat Skins came out pretty slowly. Probably because the cook was still out front smoking. But they were well seasoned, still warm and crackling when they arrived. The portion was good and they were tasty. I liked them enough to bring the leftovers home.

The Brisket Plate came out a few minutes later. Sides first: the Mac & cheese was super cheesy and good. The pasta wasn’t cooked into a mushy mess ,lots and lots of creamy cheese, and it was a big scoop. The stew was hot, little bits of corn and diced tomato and lots of meat. The meat was well chopped. No other filler in the stew. It was ok, but needed some salt and pepper. I’ve had great stew and terrible stew. This one wasn’t offensive but didn’t blow my skirt up either.

4 slices of brisket, thickly cut. Almost too thick. It was tough. Like not cooked long enough to fall apart tough. The smoke ring was thick and prominent, it just was pulled too early. Brisket should tear easily if you pull it just a little. These didn’t tear. They almost didn’t even cut with the plastic knife given me. And one slice had clearly been sitting exposed to the heat lamp too long. The meat was also bland. No prominent rub or seasoning.

The sauces: Mild - good; my favorite of the 4. Vinegar - lots of tang and spice, well balanced. Sweet - good, not overly ketchup-y. Hot - vinegar based, very spicy.

The meat should be the star of the show, and the appetizer blew the brisket away. The server was very nice, but the food was slow arriving. All in all it was disappointing.
20231220_134719.jpeg20231220_132620.jpeg20231220_141721.jpeg20231220_135202.jpeg20231220_135925.jpeg20231220_135153.jpeg20231220_140337.jpeg

I’ve lived here a long time and never tried this one before. It was always on the ‘other’ side of town from where I lived, but I was driving by the other day and figured I should finally give it a go. The name is a bit cheeky, there is plenty of parking, and they are open for lunch and dinner daily. They have a small bar, and serve liquor, beer, and wine.

Went about 2:00 in the afternoon. They weren’t busy at all. 2 servers working and 1 cook out front smoking a heater as I walked in.

Last time around I tried pulled pork almost exclusively; this time I want to try brisket if it’s available, or ribs as a back-up plan.

I ordered something called Meat Skins, with butt rub at the server’s suggestion. It’s pork rinds - Chicharrones if you’re fancy. Got the Brisket Plate with Stew and Mac & Cheese. Plates include 2 sides, with a small upcharge for the ‘premium’ side of stew. They have 4 sauces, I got a sample of each.

The Meat Skins came out pretty slowly. Probably because the cook was still out front smoking. But they were well seasoned, still warm and crackling when they arrived. The portion was good and they were tasty. I liked them enough to bring the leftovers home.

The Brisket Plate came out a few minutes later. Sides first: the Mac & cheese was super cheesy and good. The pasta wasn’t cooked into a mushy mess ,lots and lots of creamy cheese, and it was a big scoop. The stew was hot, little bits of corn and diced tomato and lots of meat. The meat was well chopped. No other filler in the stew. It was ok, but needed some salt and pepper. I’ve had great stew and terrible stew. This one wasn’t offensive but didn’t blow my skirt up either.

4 slices of brisket, thickly cut. Almost too thick. It was tough. Like not cooked long enough to fall apart tough. The smoke ring was thick and prominent, it just was pulled too early. Brisket should tear easily if you pull it just a little. These didn’t tear. They almost didn’t even cut with the plastic knife given me. And one slice had clearly been sitting exposed to the heat lamp too long. The meat was also bland. No prominent rub or seasoning.

The sauces: Mild - good; my favorite of the 4. Vinegar - lots of tang and spice, well balanced. Sweet - good, not overly ketchup-y. Hot - vinegar based, very spicy.

The meat should be the star of the show, and the appetizer blew the brisket away. The server was very nice, but the food was slow arriving. All in all it was disappointing.
View attachment 6670686View attachment 6670687View attachment 6670688View attachment 6670691View attachment 6670692View attachment 6670693View attachment 6670695
I have a student at UGA. I like BBQ. I have a 13 year old son. Needless to say he thought anyplace called butt hut was funny and the rest of us thought it worth a try. I agree it wasn’t impressive.
The smokehouse was better but I don’t remember the details of our visit a couple of years ago.

View attachment 6670686View attachment 6670687View attachment 6670688View attachment 6670691View attachment 6670692View attachment 6670693View attachment 6670695
Looks awesome !! Sooo making me hungry for good bbq !! lol.
Happy Sat/Sun !! :becky: :) :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom