• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistols Cal .40 - Why They Are So Hated?

Don’t want to add .40S&W to the stable. More expensive than 9mm, which I already have 10k or more rounds of, and I get .357SIG for free. Don’t want to handload for it.

Price on those went how a little to $385, but that includes 3 mags and Novak’s. Still a great deal.
Free 357sig? You DHS?

Not many agencies using that any more. One of my FAM homies is still shooting that in his Sig. :p

Not a matter of hate for me, just doesn’t serve a purpose. Why would I want a gun that holds less, recoils more, and costs more to feed while providing no notable ballistic improvement?

I feel the same way about about 357 Sig and 45ACP when comparing the same platforms so it’s not just a 40 thing.

I had a .40 Smith. Fine weapon. Might buy another .40. I carry 9s, mostly because I practice a lot due to being on a security team. 9mm is cheaper ammo. Some 9mm ammo has better performance than .40 or .45 when it comes to a defense situation. Don`t start an argument on this. I won`t participate. Maybe the younger troops consider .40s no longer "fashionable". The younger troops seem to think .308 is the only deer rifle. 308s are the "in" thing. Good round, sure, but not the best in the world. Depends on what you are using it for. Most of us carry for self defense. It`s a good possibility that you might have others around you in a defensive situation. The magnum calibers are more likely to over-penetrate and take out the wrong people. 9mm, .40 cal, and .45 cal. provide ample defense with not as much chance of over- penetration. Also,I`m tired of "haters". You hate 40s? I could care less.

Most all things tend to go “full circle”.
It’s “in” its ”out” now it’s in again...
9’s, .30-06 , 45’s , .308, 223, Howa, Benelli, Smith, Sig, pigs, goats, sheep, yada, yada, yada. I don’t care and definitely don’t follow.

Most all things tend to go “full circle”.
It’s “in” its ”out” now it’s in again...
9’s, .30-06 , 45’s , .308, 223, Howa, Benelli, Smith, Sig, pigs, goats, sheep, yada, yada, yada. I don’t care and definitely don’t follow.
Now Texas brought back up Sig .357 - But I'll still keep my .40 as well...

I've just got my first .270 and I'll try it out soon... Mine is a Ruger M77 Mark II Ultra Light .270 Win
And watching this video below, these guys kinda convinced me that .270 is really a great caliber rifle. Super great velocity and great ballistic. Watch this review., you will love it!
270 is over-rated. And they are comparing a long action round to a short action.

Back
Top Bottom