• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistols Cal .40 - Why They Are So Hated?

nothing wrong with the .40 s&w round. back in the late 80's i was issued a glock 17 to replace a wheel gun, then in the late 90's they took it away and gave me a glock 22. to me it was not a big thing. the .40 shot just as good and was no harder to control. but the girly men and some girls had some problems with the .40. the limp wrist things. but i have seen some limp wrist the 9mm too. if you train with your pistol you will not have any problems o matter the cabiler.

Reactions: GFB
What happens is, when any of our members have one FS (.40cal) here, everybody start making a low ball offers. Some even curse them, when their are selling other calibers. - Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The one I have, I think I bought it for $300.00 and now, by the hate I see around, I won't ever be able to sale it for that price! - So, I'll keep it.

What happens is, when any of our members have one FS (.40cal) here, everybody start making a low ball offers. Some even curse them, when their are selling other calibers. - Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The one I have, I think I bought it for $300.00 and now, by the hate I see around, I won't ever be able to sale it for that price! - So, I'll keep it.
Not hate, but it’s is fear of recoil.

I was always a revolver guy. Figured that anything that needed doing could get done with a .357.

My only big bore semi was a Star PD .45 which I shot a ton, and shot in competition against some high dollar 1911's and did well. Proved to my satisfaction that it wasn't the hardware producing the results. Still shooting it, still going strong.

Back then 9mm wasn't even serious consideration. All the gun mags were full of articles on how to make major caliber out of the box, or there were a lot of wildcats 9s trying the same thing.

Haven't kept up with competition shooting so don't know if they changed the rules to make 9 a "major" caliber is 9 major now?

So reading the several pages of comments above, we come to this conclusion:

1. The 9mm is in no way the ballistic equivalent to the .40. It takes special +P loads to exceed the energy level 0r the 150 year old .38 Spec. Note the several comments on how it comes "close", This leads us to point 2,

2. The 9mm is less expensive to shoot. Granted. The shear bulk of 9mm produced and the production capacity makes range load ammo for the 9 cheaper. But going back to point 1, when you start shooting max load, premium bullets loads the price difference is inconsequential. Again, like the ballistics's claims no one is throwing any numbers out there. So if you are going to shoot mostly blasting range ammo, the few dollars you save may be significant. A cent a round for a large government agency is significant; it's a personal decision on whether you want to base your personal safety on how cheap the ammo is.

3. The 9 has greater capacity. Granted. Other that stating "mo' bullets, mo' bullets" no one has really stated why this fact would make you "hate" the .40, you must really hate the .45ACP

4. Operator issues. The influx of woman, latinos, asians, millennial into LEO and the military has vastly increased the number of people sensitive to loud noises and sudden surprises. It's the times we live in. Unless you are a woman, latino, asian, or a millennial, don't see how this could lead you to "hating" the .40.

I have purchased several .40 over the last couple of years. About a 50% discount to the same gun in 9mm. I figure the several hundred dollars savings buys me a lot of that high dollar ammo and I can fill out some niches in my gun collection.

In conclusion, no one above has states a "reason" to hate the .40, it's all subjective opinion, along the lines of why they hate creamed spinach.

Let's make this simple. It has nothing to do with asians, latinos or even Trump and the Clintons.
Those that do not like 40 cal don't like it because the gain in terminal ballistics does not outweigh the lower recoiling, higher capacity and cheaper availability of the 9mm.

I was always a revolver guy. Figured that anything that needed doing could get done with a .357.

My only big bore semi was a Star PD .45 which I shot a ton, and shot in competition against some high dollar 1911's and did well. Proved to my satisfaction that it wasn't the hardware producing the results. Still shooting it, still going strong.

Back then 9mm wasn't even serious consideration. All the gun mags were full of articles on how to make major caliber out of the box, or there were a lot of wildcats 9s trying the same thing.

Haven't kept up with competition shooting so don't know if they changed the rules to make 9 a "major" caliber is 9 major now?

So reading the several pages of comments above, we come to this conclusion:

1. The 9mm is in no way the ballistic equivalent to the .40. It takes special +P loads to exceed the energy level 0r the 150 year old .38 Spec. Note the several comments on how it comes "close", This leads us to point 2,

2. The 9mm is less expensive to shoot. Granted. The shear bulk of 9mm produced and the production capacity makes range load ammo for the 9 cheaper. But going back to point 1, when you start shooting max load, premium bullets loads the price difference is inconsequential. Again, like the ballistics's claims no one is throwing any numbers out there. So if you are going to shoot mostly blasting range ammo, the few dollars you save may be significant. A cent a round for a large government agency is significant; it's a personal decision on whether you want to base your personal safety on how cheap the ammo is.

3. The 9 has greater capacity. Granted. Other that stating "mo' bullets, mo' bullets" no one has really stated why this fact would make you "hate" the .40, you must really hate the .45ACP

4. Operator issues. The influx of woman, latinos, asians, millennial into LEO and the military has vastly increased the number of people sensitive to loud noises and sudden surprises. It's the times we live in. Unless you are a woman, latino, asian, or a millennial, don't see how this could lead you to "hating" the .40.

I have purchased several .40 over the last couple of years. About a 50% discount to the same gun in 9mm. I figure the several hundred dollars savings buys me a lot of that high dollar ammo and I can fill out some niches in my gun collection.

In conclusion, no one above has states a "reason" to hate the .40, it's all subjective opinion, along the lines of why they hate creamed spinach.

You lost me at #4 but otherwise you made some good points in summarizing.

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom