• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistols Cal .40 - Why They Are So Hated?

I have no problems with carrying, shooting the 40. It must be some sort of alien conspiracy to get us all to stop carrying a round that is effective against their body armor...
Yuuppp.... Those two robbers in Miami, I think in 1976, was the moment when the FBI changed the game choosing a round that would do the job.

1986. It was when "stopping power theory" still had a forum in gun magazines. The bad guys didn't succumb fast enough to their fatal wounds and the ammo was blamed for the death of 2 agents. It is what sent the FBI towards the 10mm S&W 1076. There were a whole bunch of other factors at play in that gunfight that could be critiqued too...

However, Human physiology and response to pistol ammo is a puzzling "science" with lots of variables. My 2 cents: Shoot whatever pistol caliber makes you accurate (or confident/happy). Hits where you want 'em matter most (shot placement). The rest is a bit of luck, resolve of the adversary, physiology, and time. Not much different than the reactions deer have to various rifle bullets. Some drop right there, some run a mile.

I had a 40 once... Didn't hate it, only got rid of it to consolidate calibers... Figured that with 9mm and .45acp, what was the point?

Yep. I did the same. Also dumped 270 in rifle, .17 rimfire, .22 WMR, etc. Not that I have anything against any of those calibers, I just consolidated down.

I've heard people talk about the common 40 S&W is low-loaded in comparison to the "original" 40 S&W. I've also heard the same about 10mm. But I've never seen a good comparison on either of those claims.

My 2 cents: Shoot whatever pistol caliber makes you accurate (or confident/happy). Hits where you want 'em matter most (shot placement). The rest is a bit of luck, resolve of the adversary, physiology, and time. Not much different than the reactions deer have to various rifle bullets. Some drop right there, some run a mile.

Better to have to shoot a bad guy a few times, but be able to actually hit him with a weapon you can control, than always miss with a pistol you don't like / can't shoot.

.40's okay, just not a "wonder" caliber like some people believe ... (but neither is .45ACP, or 9mm, or....I know, blasphemy!)

Back
Top Bottom