• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ok ,gold,silver or ammo you pick one

I'm more worried about an economic collapse or a EMP attack than a total shtf scenario with the dreaded and stupid concept of zombies coming after me. Being that as it may, my stockpiling focus is more on safe water and food. If there's an EMP and all electronics are fried, then all the gold and silver in world isn't gonna buy you a damn thing at a retailer. Several months of food, water, some cash, and some ammo should cover it.

EMP makes for a great story line in a movie or conspiracy theory, but the fact of the matter is, EMP is grossly overrated and not really anything to fear.

1.) EMP would not wipe out ANY critical data. Critical data is not sitting on servers in your moms basement. It is backed up on multiple servers around the country, and around the world. The server rooms this data is protected in are built to protect against EMP. Critical data is also backed up onto solid state media that is not effected by EMP.

2.) The effects of EMP have been grossly exaggerated by hollywood and conspiracy theorists. The military does EMP testing on White Sands missile range in New Mexico all the time. They have found that EMP is just not that effective. Most vehicles will still operate after an EMP. Communication backbones around the world are made out of fiber optics. While the switches on the ends of those little strands of glass can be effected, the actual network is safe. Like critical data, critical switches on the worlds communication backbones are stored in rooms designed to protect against EMP. Moreover, spares for those switches are kept on hand, and also protected against EMP.

3.) The power grid will more than likely be wiped out by an EMP. Not because of actual damage to the infrastructure, but due to the loss of computer operations and safety systems at power plants. While the loss of power would suck, the grid could be restored in under 90 days.

So basically, worse case scenario from an EMP would be civil unrest for short term of time caused by the lack of communication and power. Oh yeah, and people wouldn't get to see "American Idol." Not exactly an end of the world as we know it type of event, and precious metals and ammunition will both be handy to have.

With 2000 yrs of history, I don't even know why this thread exists. Metals have and always will be the answer to economic security in bad times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom