• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ok ,gold,silver or ammo you pick one

in a survival type deal i can hunt, i can defend,i can even barter with ammo all on the cheap.
with gold and silver you could buy food from farmer brown and pay off any would be robbers/looters and you could barter with it but at what cost.
what do you think anyone that had anything that you wanted or need would want more a box of ammo or a hand full of coins.
i do see that gold and silver has it value for keeping you wealth safe but you can't live on it can you.
gold and silver have raised army's and ended wars of course it also started them too.

in the event of economic collapse gold and sivler would hold it's value better than the burnable dollar but how long would you be able to hold on to it if you are dropping 20 dollar silver coins for milk and bread not to even bring up the cost of fuel. i am sure that if that was to happen it would not last and would get better but as far a barter would you barter with 20 dollar coins or cheaper boxes of ammo.

in the event of economic collapse gold and sivler would hold it's value better than the burnable dollar but how long would you be able to hold on to it if you are dropping 20 dollar silver coins for milk and bread not to even bring up the cost of fuel. i am sure that if that was to happen it would not last and would get better but as far a barter would you barter with 20 dollar coins or cheaper boxes of ammo.

If we have an economic collapse then hyper-inflation will set in. So think $50+ for a loaf of bread if not $100s
For my "barter money" silver would be the best and can be divide and trade by weight, Dont think in face values of coins but weight value.
Also If things got bad,I would prefer to get rid of other items before I got rid of my ammo.

Think hyperinflation. 1923 Germany

In an economic collapse, more than likely the dollar will survive, it will just be worth MUCH less such as they are seeing in zimbobway (sp?). Imaged of a cheeseburger costing 3 dollars, it will cost 4 million. Your gold you purchased at 1000 dollars an ounce when cheese burgers were 3 dollars will be worth 2 billion an ounce when cheese burgers are 4 mil a pop.

Precious medals are a way to protect real wealth. If you have a cool million in cash and the economy goes tits up, your economic status goes from wealthy to poor, almost over night.If you have a cool million in gold and things go bad, your economic status remains the same. Everything has become exponentially more expensive, but the value of your gold and silver have grown with the inflation.There is nothing wrong with hoarding ammo as well, but truthfully even in an end of the world zombie apocalypse situation, if you need more than a couple of thousand rounds toive out the rest of your life, you would be better of putting one in your head.

Not to mention the weight of the stuff. More than likely you would have to keep moving to survive. Along with everything else you will need, you can realisticly carry what, 2 thousand rounds, maybe 3. The rest of your stockpile would have to be left behind for the looters. You can carry a million bucks in gold at todays value in a ziplock sandwich bag. I am sure the looters will be most greatful for the 40 guns and 100k rds of ammo you spent 20 years hoarding, and had to abandon in 15 minutes.

I hoard guns, ammo, gold and silver. Guns and ammo because they will always retain their real world value, and because I enjoy them. Gold and silver because I work to hard for my wealth to lose everything I have because of bad economic policy created by people I have no control over..Right now I am hoarding AR15 lowers, bolt carrier groups, and lower parts kits in case ding dong wins a second term. I did the same thing in 08 and was able to continue building quality rifles at a reasonable cost right on through all the panic buying. Nothing as satisfying as trading an AR you spent 600 to build for a LNIB 6 inch Nickle colt python. ;)

Last edited:
I'm more worried about an economic collapse or a EMP attack than a total shtf scenario with the dreaded and stupid concept of zombies coming after me. Being that as it may, my stockpiling focus is more on safe water and food. If there's an EMP and all electronics are fried, then all the gold and silver in world isn't gonna buy you a damn thing at a retailer. Several months of food, water, some cash, and some ammo should cover it.

Good thread!
Don't see the gold and silver really being of much help in most situations for any extended period but could be helpful short term.
I'd likely hoard and then use 22 or maybe 9mm as a barter item. Trading a high power round may come back to haunt you.
Note to self, may be time to seriously consider hoarding 22.

Gold makes a lot of sense in these economic times but remember, economies run through cycles. Okay, so you convert your savings into gold at $1718/ounce today. When the economy gets better (and it will) that same gold will lose value. Five years ago it was roughly $700/ounce. Do the math. Your savings would be cut by over half.

Face it, when times are good, gold is not. Money typically goes into the stock market/real estate/etc. or whatever is generating the most wealth. When economic times are bad, money typically goes into "safe" investments. Like what has been said, gold has always been a solid investment in uncertain times.

Investing (stock market/metals) is nothing more than legalized gambling. Every time you buy stocks/metals at a certain price, someone on the other end is willing to sell it to you at that price. Whenever you sell your investments (stocks/metals) someone is willing to buy them from you. That's what really puts it in perspective for me. You're hoping to buy low, sell high and the other guy is willing to sell that same opportunity.

I'm not an investing expert nor do I play one on TV but I'm old enough to know that economies run in cycles and the values of things change. I have a feeling gun and ammo prices are going to drop this year. It's a supply and demand thing. Folks have stashed away thousands of rounds and the market is, or on the way to, being saturated at the same point the manufactures have opened the flood gates on production to reap the revenues of a buy-hungry market. Supply/demand principle.

Where was I? In a post-apocalypse scenario I think gold and ammo would both be a valued commodity. Let's face it, there will always be rich people. There always have been and there always will be. Gold would be valuable to them. Ammo would be a very valuable commodity because you can put food on the table or defend yourself with it.

Of course, I think food/seeds/liquor/tobacco would also be very valuable in a post-apocalypse scenario.

Keep in mind that economic cycles do not return to their point of origin. This confuses people, and rightly so. The term cycle would suggest that we return to a previous point in history.

FWIW, life is nothing more than legalized gambling.

Back
Top Bottom