• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just had a guy Flake on a trade deal. Lesson learned, communicate with anyone you don't know by PM.

Good news

Mods removed the feedback

Thanks!!!!!

Lesson learned only PMs!

that's great!

PM everything except the call just before we leave to meet.

I had a fellow that was new to the site call me at 6:30am to tell me he wasn't going to be able to buy my guns because he had been incarcerated.

It seemed a little strange, so I told him that if he would send me a copy of the arrest warrant, I'd let him slide on the Neg. He did and I did.

There are some things that happen and we have no or little control over.
If you tell me your kid had to go to the hospital and that's why you didn't make the appointment, then your excuse should be accompanied by a receipt.

Great thread and a lot of sage advice.

I have only had one ODT'er back out on a trade and it was a few years ago. We settled on the trade and then he backed out. The old"sold it to a buddy" story. When I called him out on it, he got all pissy and resorted to physical threats. I should have neged and reported him for the threat, but just resolved to move on.

On another note, I dealt with N Cochran a few years back and he is an outstanding individual and did not deserve to be disrespected.

Once in a while this site can surprise you in a good way too.

I recently had a deal that set all my alarm bells off...

The first PM was basically 'want to talk about your gun, what's a good number?', even though the ad clear said "PM's only". The second issue was that they only had one trade and one post (I thought you needed a minimum # of posts), and the trade was from someone with a whopping (7) posts. Looked like a fake rating.

Third, this was kind of late on a Saturday night. That's usually enough to tell me that this is someone talking out their butt, with no intention of actually buying.

I left them a PM that I'd be happy to mark it "sale pending" if they were committed to purchasing the gun, and to PM me with confirmation. I figured that was that, and I'd never hear from them again.

Bright and early Sunday I had a PM saying that they really did want the gun and where could we meet? At that point I gave them my phone number and we talked a bit. We were able to find an easy location for us both to meet, and they even showed up a little early.

It turned out he was just very new to the whole trading aspect of guns (he asked on the phone if I could take a check... LOL), and also that it was actually his fiancee buying the pistol, he was just there to help out.

They were both extremely nice and were interested in learning more about carry and training. We chatted for about 30-40 minutes on various subjects, and it was easily one of the smoothest and most interesting transactions I've had in a while.

I'm really glad I didn't let my initial misgivings cause me to blow off these very nice people, who will be great additions to the GA firearms community.

Last edited:
I had a guy immediately request to go to text a couple of weeks ago. I replied via PM and told him that I'd only discuss a deal via PM. I followed up with a text including the same instructions. He never responded to either. Made me wonder what his intentions were. This has become an all to common problem here on the trader. These days, if you don't know them or they aren't longstanding members with good feedback, tread carefully.

Once in a while this site can surprise you in a good way too.

I recently had a deal that set all my alarm bells off...

The first PM was basically 'want to talk about your gun, what's a good number?', even though the ad clear said "PM's only". The second issue was that they only had one trade and one post (I thought you needed a minimum # of posts), and the trade was from someone with a whopping (7) posts. Looked like a fake rating.

Third, this was kind of late on a Saturday night. That's usually enough to tell me that this is someone talking out their butt, with no intention of actually buying.

I left them a PM that I'd be happy to mark it "sale pending" if they were committed to purchasing the gun, and to PM me with confirmation. I figured that was that, and I'd never hear from them again.

Bright and early Sunday I had a PM saying that they really did want the gun and where could we meet? At that point I gave them my phone number and we talked a bit. We were able to find an easy location for us both to meet, and they even showed up a little early.

It turned out he was just very new to the whole trading aspect of guns (he asked on the phone if I could take a check... LOL), and also that it was actually his fiancee buying the pistol, he was just there to help out.

They were both extremely nice and were interested in learning more about carry and training. We chatted for about 30-40 minutes on various subjects, and it was easily one of the smoothest and most interesting transactions I've had in a while.

I'm really glad I didn't let my initial misgivings cause me to blow off these very nice people, who will be great additions to the GA firearms community.
Sometimes our spidy senses are wrong. Happy for your positive experience with a noob.

I had a guy immediately request to go to text a couple of weeks ago. I replied via PM and told him that I'd only discuss a deal via PM. I followed up with a text including the same instructions. He never responded to either. Made me wonder what his intentions were. This has become an all to common problem here on the trader. These days, if you don't know them or they aren't longstanding members with good feedback, tread carefully.

I've had that happen way too much as well.

I think part of it is that PM's aren't very phone friendly, and that the 'youngsters' among us are more comfortable texting than emailing.

I do insist on PMs though, just because anyone willing to use them is at least semi-serious.

I've had that happen way too much as well.

I think part of it is that PM's aren't very phone friendly, and that the 'youngsters' among us are more comfortable texting than emailing.

I do insist on PMs though, just because anyone willing to use them is at least semi-serious.
Tapatalk makes it sooo much easier.

I do the PM thing but I'm still not going to actually meet with someone brand new until I've actually talked to them on the phone .... but no, being in the military doesn't preclude someone from being a POS ...

I just finished dealing with this guy. Really bad experience. He contacts me much earlier today on my listing and proposes a trade. I accept the trade and we start figuring out where to meet. I call this person and he tells me he is a prolific ODTer and a former Marine, so I think I have a very solid character on my hand. I am contacted by another cash buyer who I turn away because of this commitment. Then, about an hour ago he contacts me and backs out on the deal because he had a buddy of his convince him it was a bad deal for him. I try to contact my other buyer who has now committed to buying something else. I text this person stating that I am disappointed he did not keep his word and I expected much better from a former Marine. He gets clearly mad on text, starts calling me names. This is only the second time on ODT I have dealt with anything like this, but I want everyone to know that apprenntly when negotiating with some members of the ODT you better do it all through PM here. Don't fall for that "just text me" garbage. He is, of course, trying to claim we had no deal because there was no time and place to meet set. Since that was not discussed in PM's. I expect once I have another man's word that is the end of it. very disappointed in this person. Anyway, just a fair warning for all newbies and U.S. Old guys who were used to a different way of operating. We either need to change the ODT rule or let these guys get outed. It will be a while before I deal with a member I don't know this way again. I am sure though, once my faith in humanity is restored again, I'll give it another try!

When you do business things like this happen. That is just the way it is.
I do a lot more buying and selling on two other national gun forums. This crap rarely happens there. It's simply not tolerated. Buying and selling online is all about character and honesty. Two traits that are harder and harder to come by these days. My policy, if you have a neg, don't contact me.

Back
Top Bottom