• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just had a guy Flake on a trade deal. Lesson learned, communicate with anyone you don't know by PM.

N Cochran

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
335   0
Reaction score
I just finished dealing with this guy. Really bad experience. He contacts me much earlier today on my listing and proposes a trade. I accept the trade and we start figuring out where to meet. I call this person and he tells me he is a prolific ODTer and a former Marine, so I think I have a very solid character on my hand. I am contacted by another cash buyer who I turn away because of this commitment. Then, about an hour ago he contacts me and backs out on the deal because he had a buddy of his convince him it was a bad deal for him. I try to contact my other buyer who has now committed to buying something else. I text this person stating that I am disappointed he did not keep his word and I expected much better from a former Marine. He gets clearly mad on text, starts calling me names. This is only the second time on ODT I have dealt with anything like this, but I want everyone to know that apprenntly when negotiating with some members of the ODT you better do it all through PM here. Don't fall for that "just text me" garbage. He is, of course, trying to claim we had no deal because there was no time and place to meet set. Since that was not discussed in PM's. I expect once I have another man's word that is the end of it. very disappointed in this person. Anyway, just a fair warning for all newbies and U.S. Old guys who were used to a different way of operating. We either need to change the ODT rule or let these guys get outed. It will be a while before I deal with a member I don't know this way again. I am sure though, once my faith in humanity is restored again, I'll give it another try!

I learned this lesson the hard way. Turned out the guy was arrested the night before so he missed the appointment, and couldn't answer the phone until the next day when he text me still wanting to try and make a deal, but I already had another buyer on their way. He was apologetic so it was believable. This was the first and only time I've had to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom