• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jerk Buyer... your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That stinks, you drove out of town for the deal and then he wants a lower price.
Devils advocate,if the guy had no feedback and is new to the site, could be he doesn't know the rules around here.

I don't do a lot of business here but when I do I follow the suggestion that you get EVERYTHING in writing in a PM prior to driving anywhere. That way, you can submit your "evidence" in support of negative feedback to the mods.

When I see folks who post things like "Text me" or "Call me" vs using PMs, I would be very wary. Especially if they had low/no feedback. But that's just me. And let's face it, not everyone carries a Blackberry/whatever that keeps them connected. Just that if your deal is over airways other than PM, you won't have any evidence to submit in "Court".

If you make a deal over the phone, the mods have nothing to judge. It's one person's word against the other. It's a shame but it is what it is.

Hard lesson learned. There are plenty of good folks out there to deal with.

Jerk yes. The deal was agreed to at your asking price it sounds like. The price should be negotiated before the deal is set and complete. Not at the meet. I would have turned around and left unless he wanted to pay the agreed on price.

I agree. Jerk. He definately implied an acceptance of the asking price from what it sounds. Plus you had to meet out of town. I wouldn't be very happy.

On Thursday a buyer, with zero feedback contacted me by pm to purchase a firearm that I had listed for sale. He stated that if I still had it on Saturday, he would take it contingent on me meeting him out of town. I followed up with a phone call and marked the item pending. When we met, he said the item was beautiful and just as I had described and said it looked unfired. Then he questions me as to what was the least I would take for the firearm. I told him that I held the firearm with the understanding that he was paying my asking price. He then says, "hope I haven't wasted your time but I'm not willing to pay but X amount which was $75 less than my asking price". Had there been any issues with the firearm, I would have understood his offer but he stuck with the I'm only paying x amount.... I took the deal but would never do business with him again.... I could have possibly sold the gun for my asking price had I not held it for him..... Was he a jerk or not?

He was a jerk, yes --- but you accepted his lowball price so his "negotiation" was a success. No grounds for negative or neutral feedback in my opinion. He made you an offer and you took it.
The time for you to address this was on the spot....

You could pm him a link to this thread so he can read the general concensus from everyone. Perhaps he did not know accepted negotiating process if he is new. It could be a learning experience for him too.

I always laugh when people try to change the terms at the meet. Like I told the last guy, I don't need the money and I wouldn't have agreed to it if the terms had been different. I have no problem walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom