• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

how to hold a suspect for police

In the last week or two, we had an armed robbery at a Circle-K in Tallahassee where the perp (a 16-year old kid) used a knife as his weapon. The clerk handed over the cash. Three customers watched it go down, sized the kid up, and jumped him just after he went out the door. As I understand it, they disarmed him and "restrained him" until the cops got there. The LE Agency (officially) issued words of caution about intervening in an armed robbery like that, but I'm told they were actually pretty pleased with it. The community praised the guys who intervened.

There was a lot of local chatter about this case and similarities related to the George Zimmerman case in Sanford, Florida, and how this case might have looked different if there had been gunfire or if the kid had put up a big fight (which he didn't) and been seriously injured. I haven't seen pics of the perp or the customers that intervened, but all of them had Hispanic sounding names, which would have been another interesting factor in how the media or LE would have handled the case (i.e. no "race card" for anyone to throw down).

In the last week or two, we had an armed robbery at a Circle-K in Tallahassee where the perp (a 16-year old kid) used a knife as his weapon. The clerk handed over the cash. Three customers watched it go down, sized the kid up, and jumped him just after he went out the door. As I understand it, they disarmed him and "restrained him" until the cops got there. The LE Agency (officially) issued words of caution about intervening in an armed robbery like that, but I'm told they were actually pretty pleased with it. The community praised the guys who intervened.

There was a lot of local chatter about this case and similarities related to the George Zimmerman case in Sanford, Florida, and how this case might have looked different if there had been gunfire or if the kid had put up a big fight (which he didn't) and been seriously injured. I haven't seen pics of the perp or the customers that intervened, but all of them had Hispanic sounding names, which would have been another interesting factor in how the media or LE would have handled the case (i.e. no "race card" for anyone to throw down).

Wow, very similar. With him leaving Stand your ground wouldn't apply, but not knowing I will ask, does Florida have a "citizens arrest statute? It would apply is why I ask.

Tell them to lay on their stomach and face away from you with there arms spread palms up, and to cross their ankles. I somewhat concur with the previous statement to get a good description, tag number, etc. OCGA 16-3-21 allows for use of lethal force in defense of a third party as well as yourself, and to prevent a forceable felony... Presenting deadly force needs to be backed by an actual fear of imminent death, or severe bodily harm.

this ^

Let me change the scenario a little bit and see how this works out. You and your wife have gone into the BP station to grab a couple of cokes and munchies after buying gas. As you both head to the cooler a flash mob comes barging in, yelling, swinging at people, tearing stuff up and stealing things. You aren't sure if they have deadly intent, but you are armed but outnumbered 50 to 1. My first inclination would be to back my wife in to a corner with me in front of her and look as harmless as I can until I have to make a decision of taking a few punches or opening up on the crowd. Which way do you go with this?

Do any of us want our personal lives turned inside out while the media and prosecution look for a case. A LEO has lawyers at his disposal should he be accused of false arrest or any other BS crime at no cost to him. Do you?

This. What most people don't realize is that these people they are saving would likely NEVER help them out if they were in need. That employee behind the counter should have been exercising his 2nd amendment right, not depending on someone else who does to come save him/her. If you step in and save a stranger, do you think they would even do so much as go to your funeral if you died in the process? Would they make sure your family was financially secure when you were no longer there to provide for them? My guess is no, so think twice before you risk your life in such a situation. Take a mental note of their appearance and any other identifying factors (tag #, tattoos, etc.), but stay the hell out of danger.

Let me change the scenario a little bit and see how this works out. You and your wife have gone into the BP station to grab a couple of cokes and munchies after buying gas. As you both head to the cooler a flash mob comes barging in, yelling, swinging at people, tearing stuff up and stealing things. You aren't sure if they have deadly intent, but you are armed but outnumbered 50 to 1. My first inclination would be to back my wife in to a corner with me in front of her and look as harmless as I can until I have to make a decision of taking a few punches or opening up on the crowd. Which way do you go with this?

oh wow, good one.

I have to agree with you, except my wife carries a Glock 23. But following the question and scenario back her into a corner and protect. Beauty of 50-1 is how many want to be the first 16 before my mag change? A rush of a violent mob again creates an articulable threat and fear (16-3-21 again) if you verbally command them to stay back... Your covered. If they are just making a run on MD2020 of the local Korean corner store (does that cross a line?) and do not approach nor threaten us... We will watch the show.

you can't use lethal force to protect property.

I would think it would be best to back you and your wife into a corner and shoot if one of them comes toward you. If one gang member starts punching you, there's a good chance the others are about to join in. Plus your wife could be very seriously injured if one of them was to hit her, so I think it would be a justified kill. Being outnumbered is a big disparity of force, so I think it gives you the right to put em down. Remember that all it takes is one good shot to the temple or back of the head to make you silly for the rest of your life.

This. What most people don't realize is that these people they are saving would likely NEVER help them out if they were in need. That employee behind the counter should have been exercising his 2nd amendment right, not depending on someone else who does to come save him/her. If you step in and save a stranger, do you think they would even do so much as go to your funeral if you died in the process? Would they make sure your family was financially secure when you were no longer there to provide for them? My guess is no, so think twice before you risk your life in such a situation. Take a mental note of their appearance and any other identifying factors (tag #, tattoos, etc.), but stay the hell out of danger.

BP at the intersection of Grassdale Road and Hwy 41 Cartersville Ga. Cook from the Waffle House next door saw suspicious activity behind the store and went over to warn the clerk. He ended up shot in the back as armed assailants robbed the store and kidnapped the clerk.

Back
Top Bottom