• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

this thread needs a pole. I vote p365xl w optic with a mag upgrade from lakeline
E7E5A3FA-DE5B-458A-958E-2B8E89684C4B.png

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?
On my old property I use to carry my old M-16 over my shoulders was it heavy after I while YES, did I ever want to sit it down H*LL NO. Without your rifle your nothing is what I was taught lol. Now that’s private property if you talking about public I use a 10mm glock full size.

If you are concerned of animals that size I'd go 10mm. I dont think you have to worry about those larger ones in GA. Rare and will probably avoid you. I'd be worried about coyotes if you hike with a smaller dog down to rattlesnakes/copperheads and maybe a rabid coon or possum. 40 cal on down to 38 is fine for that. I'd have a couple snake rounds at the top of my carry mag. A plain glock 26 would be good. The bigger mag would be my preference. When in doubt more rounds on target is good.
Possums body temperature is too low for them to carry rabies. Don’t shoot them.

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?
If you are in Mountain lion country you are in bear country, Black or Grizzly. If you are in black bear only country then a 357 or larger, if the mountain lion country involves Grizzly bears 44 mag or larger. If you prefer semi auto then 10mm would be the only choice. If you take the bear country out of the picture, anything you carry every day for human self defense would work. Use hard cast bullets that penetrate bone. Buffalo bore makes a +P outdoorsman round that is adequate for that calibre. A guide did use that round in defense of life on a Grizzly Bear with a 9mm and lived to tell the tale. In bear country I use a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag in a chest holster. If I am not in bear country I just throw whatever 9mm of the day I want to carry in my pocket or on my hip.

Back
Top Bottom