• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

The Danish SF ( humbly referred to as the Jagermeister) yea they are a bad ass group,
They carry G20 with hard cast ammo, because it’s the only sidearm that can stop a bear.And yes they have big ass bear there.

G29 for the win if weight is an issue. I am not a Glock guy!

or a single stack 357sig with hard cast ammo

Glock 19's a bit heavy,
at over 30 ounces loaded.
Nearly 2 lbs.
A single stack semi would be better.

P.S. I used to have a Taurus pt-111 Ti, with a titanium slide
and a stainless steel barrel.
It weighed noticeably less than a same-sized Glock 26
or any other 9mm with a steel slide.
More gun companies should make titanium alloy handguns.

G29 or G32, something along those lines.

Honestly though, I would not feel uncomfortable with any 9mm. If you actually see a black bear or mountain lion, chances are it will be their backsides as they are running away from you.
I second this, as long as you aren’t between a sow and her Cubs bears are going to flee as quickly as possible when they run into humans. Coyotes bolt when they see humans. What would worry more is creeping up on a 250 pound wild hog and surprising it.

G29 or G32, something along those lines.

Honestly though, I would not feel uncomfortable with any 9mm. If you actually see a black bear or mountain lion, chances are it will be their backsides as they are running away from you.
Totally concur, only thing I would is if it’s a mama bear with cubs near by, then all bets are off

Reactions: MRH
I second this, as long as you aren’t between a sow and her Cubs bears are going to flee as quickly as possible when they run into humans. Coyotes bolt when they see humans. What would worry more is creeping up on a 250 pound wild hog and surprising it.

Yeah man I know a guy who got chased up a tree by a 250 pound hog here in Douglasville. He was very glad he held onto his gun. LOL

Getting attacked by a bear with cubs is certainly possible. That's why I would carry 10mm or. 357sig if I were concerned about it, but I believe 9mm with hardball should be more than adequate.

Back
Top Bottom