• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

I mean bears notwithstanding PMR30 is light, holds 30 and is easy to use for a novice. Obviously not centerfire but it matches all other criteria

Edit: Also relatively inexpensive

PMR -30 is out because of the very large sized grip,
which has a long reach from the backstrap to the trigger face
because of the length of the cartridges it holds.

This gun has to be suitable for a petite female with small hands.

If not for the grip dimensions, I think this would be a good gun despite the rimfire chambering. The gun has the right weight, a long enough barrel, has excellent sights,
no recoil, and in this application the loud noise is actually a plus --for the emergency signaling and animal-scaring factor.

QUOTE: "What may not work for some shooters is the size of the grip.
The .22 Mag is a long round, and that makes the grip fairly large front-to-back. It isn’t particularly thick, but if you have small hands it may feel like you aren’t getting full purchase because of that front-back distance."

ARTICLE REVIEWING THIS PISTOL:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-kel-tec-pmr-30/

P.S. It has one other thing against it -- it is one of the f'ugy-ist looking handguns ever invented. A real monstrosity; like Dr. Frankenstein's monster.

Some handguns are just more visually appealing than others,
and that matters a lot --especially to women. Like the S&W two-tone 9mm shown in Tiffany blue.

395022BC-22E8-41CC-B00E-32D0C2285295.jpeg

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.
1.jpg

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?

Ruger LCR 357 lightweight compact revolver) using 110 gr. Hp for 2 legged & 158 for lions, tigers & bears. Gf disliked the heavier trigger pull on the S & W 642 or manipulating the slides on another 10 expensive edc's tried over the last 20 years. She handles the 17 oz. lcr 357 1 7/8" snub with the solid billet aluminum zombie speedloaders, green dot crimson trace grips & big dot night sights like a pro. It’s a do all pistol - carjackers, sliders at gas station, circling I285, Newman prom nite in Dtown Atl., the source awards, Walmart/mall shopping, banks, or hiking the AT. Unless your hiking every week you are 100 times more likely to use it within 3 yds. using just 3 rds. in a robbery than a bear encounter.

Attachments

• 5248CE06-89F0-425B-8969-A890AA956613.jpeg
    5248CE06-89F0-425B-8969-A890AA956613.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 35103B2E-7D41-49C0-91BF-31D37019C6F6.jpeg
    35103B2E-7D41-49C0-91BF-31D37019C6F6.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 2
I carry a Glock 43 when I am hiking around the southeast. I’ve walked most of the Pinhoti trail with it in an Alien Gear holster with the backpack strap attachment. If I were going west, where allowed, I would probably pick up a 10mm, much larger and heavier, but packs a bigger punch. For anything deep in brown bear territory, I consider packing in a rifle, if I have to pack a pistol, 44 mag.

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?
Ruger 5.7
Maybe the FN but it might be a little heavier

Thinking of a lower cost hiking gun for a first time buyer which is lightweight and in .44 special, the only revolver to come to mind would be a Charter Arms Bulldog. IIRC, you can get them in a 3 inch barrel which is not much but better than 2 inches. It's relatively light and not too expensive. Since I have never owned one or fired one, I can't speak from experience. I know quality can vary depending if you buy an older one say versus a newly made one.

FN 57. Super accurate, light, 20 round mag. I know it's 5.7x28 but if you've ever shot anything with one you'll understand it delivers more than that sounds like... Downside is the gun is pricey and ammo is apparently made of 18K gold at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom